Design your System
Excerpts from Thesis Writeshop
Presentation by Ms. Ma. Corazon
A system architecture or systems architecture is the conceptual model that
defines the structure, behavior, and more views of a system.
Depending on the context, Systems Architecture can in fact refer to:
• the architecture of a system, i.e. a model to describe/analyze a system
• architecting a system, i.e. a method to build the architecture of a system
• a body of knowledge* for "architecting" systems while meeting business
needs, i.e. a discipline to master systems design.
* consisting in: concepts, principles, frameworks, tools, methods,
• “Architecture of a system" is (similarly to the
one of a building) a global model of this system
– a structure
– properties (of various elements involved)
– relationships (between various elements)
– behaviors & dynamics
– multiple views of the system (complementary and
Related Literature Matrix
Author (Year) Title Scope
(state of the art, methods, algorithms)
Visual Logic supports creation of programs with multiple
procedures, each of which is represented as a
ALVIS Live! provided an editing model, where an edit-by-
edit basis is taken to immediately visualize the
feedback on the syntactic and semantic
correctness of code.
JavaVis environment of visualizing and debugging
concurrent Java programs are based on UML
Ziegler et. al.,
FLINT allow students to create programs using
Proposed Research Topic
• Program Visualization Technique :
Learning and Teaching Basic
–Centralized File Management
–Code Writing Environment
–Code Checking Environment
Things to Consider:
• What are the significant parts of the system? (refer to
the result of the literature review)
• What are the elements and sub-elements of each
• What are the techniques, state-of-the-art that are
implemented to the system?
• How are these parts related to each other?
• Does the architecture presents the whole research
Derive your Objectives from Your
Things to Consider:
• Be able to write in one sentence the main objective of the
study. The architecture must show that one statement.
• Only the important elements of the architecture must be
considered to be written in the objectives.
• Do not enumerate the sub elements of the important
elements but rather describe it in an objective form.
• Objectives may not be limited to the elements of the
architecture, methods may also include such as algorithms
Final Research Title
O-Matic: A Pedagogical Design of Teaching-
Learning Environment in Basic
Programming for Novice Programmers
Using Program Visualization Technique
Things to Consider
Identify the important elements of the system
architecture (unique, state-of-the-art, proud of)
The title should describe the whole architecture
emphasizing the important elements.
The technique or the technology must be included
in the title.
You may get ideas on how to write your title from
the prior studies.