1. inleiding tot chi erik duval K.U.Leuvenhttp://www.cs.kuleuven.be/~erikd 1
4. Bad day… http://www.web42.com/badday/
5. There is a conﬂict of interest in the world ofsoftware development because the peoplewho build it are also the people who design it.If carpenters designed houses, they wouldcertainly be easier or more interesting tobuild, but not necessarily better to live in. Thearchitect, besides being trained in the art ofwhat works and what doesnt, is an advocatefor the client, for the user. Alan Cooper. About Face, 1995 (http://www.cooper.com/)
8. Niet onbelangrijk…•http://www.boston.com/campaign2000/vote/ﬂorida_voters.htm http://www.ntk.net/nielsen2004/
9. voorbeelden uit jouw leven...• ...
11. “a discipline concerned with the design evaluation and implementationof interactive computing systemsfor human use and with the studyof major phenomena surroundingthem." ACM
12. taskorganisational & social CHI technology user
13. UsabilityThe effectiveness, efﬁciency, and satisfactionwith which speciﬁed users achievespeciﬁed goals in particular environmentsThis does not mean you have to create a “dry” design or something that is only good for novices– it all depends on your goals
15. • ACM SIGCHI • meer dan 6000 leden • jaarlijkse conferentie• tijdschriften • ACM interactions • ACM Transactions Computer-Human Interaction • International Journal of Human-Computer Studies• HCI bibliography
17. hoe weet je dat een UI “goed” is?
18. The economist – oct. 2004To be truly successful, a complex technology needs to “disappear” The real test is always the mom test http://www.economist.com/displaystory.cfm?story_id=3307363
19. You are not the user!(if you are the developer)
20. Four MythsOnly experts create good designsÄ experts faster, simple and effective techniques anyone can applyWe can ﬁx the user interface at the endÄ good design is more than just user interfaceÄ having right features, building those features rightGood design takes too long / costs too much Ä simple and effective techniques can reduce total development time & cost(ﬁnds problems early on)Good design is just cool graphicsÄ graphics part of bigger picture of what to communicate & how
21. If the user does something“wrong”, it is the fault of the system designer!
22. “logical analysis is not a good way topredict peoples behavior (nor are focusgroups or surveys): observation is thekey”“I caution that the time frame foradoption of new technologies is measuredin decades, not the months everyonewould prefer” Donald A. Norman
25. • Ben Shneiderman, Designing the User Interface. Strategies for Effective Human-Computer Interaction.• Jakob Nielsen, Designing Web Usability.• Jakob Nielsen & Marie Tahir, Homepage Usability.• Donald A. Norman, The Invisible Computer & Emotional Design.• Jef Raskin, The Humane Interface.• Peter Morville, Ambient Findability.• Jennu Preece, Yvonne Rogers, David Benyon, Simon Holland & Tom Carey, Human-Computer Interaction.• Alan Dix, Janet Finlay, Gregory Abowd & Russell Beale, Human- Computer Interaction.