1. Guerrilla Warfare By: David Salk Research Question : What is Guerilla Warfare, who used it, and how did it work to their advantage?
2. What is Guerrilla Warfare? <ul><li>Guerrilla warfare is a war tactic that does not involve the conventional way of fighting (The conventional way being full scale battle encounters between two fighting groups). </li></ul><ul><li>Instead of engaging in all out battles, soldiers who use Guerrilla warfare focus on smaller attacks/ambushes. </li></ul><ul><li>Guerrilla warriors are much sneaker than normal soldiers and will attack an enemy when they least expect it and when it hurts most. </li></ul>Guerrilla Warfare Right?...........WRONG!!!!! If you haven’t guessed yet Guerrilla Warfare does not involve Gorillas. Sorry
3. Who Exactly Used Guerrilla Warfare? <ul><li>The Vietcong were the exact users of Guerrilla Warfare during the Vietnam war. </li></ul><ul><li>The Vietcong were a branch of the Northern Communist army in Vietnam whose troops were mostly comprised of southern communist sympathizers. </li></ul><ul><li>Most of the soldiers making up the Vietcong army were merely young teenagers who received minimum training. </li></ul>A squad of Vietcong Troops
4. How the Vietcong Used Guerrilla Warfare <ul><li>Similar to Chinese Guerrillas, the Vietcong’s main strategy was to create safe base areas. </li></ul><ul><li>Mostly all of these safe bases were in the form of underground tunnels. </li></ul><ul><li>Having these underground tunnels allowed the Vietcong to hide from American forces when they were in danger, and come out of nowhere when it was time for an attack. </li></ul>Top Left & Top Right : Tiny entrances to Vietcong tunnels. Bottom : A complex Vietcong Tunnel System.
5. The Guerrilla Weapons <ul><li>Most Vietcong troops carried some version of the Russian Ak-47. </li></ul><ul><li>They also used Chinese and Russian light and medium machine guns. </li></ul><ul><li>Lastly, and most infrequently they used heavy machine guns to destroy American choppers. </li></ul>The Ak-47- Most common weapon used by Vietcong forces
6. Vietcong Weapons Continued <ul><li>To destroy American Bunkers and vehicles Vietcong forces used rocket propelled grenades and mortars. </li></ul><ul><li>They also used many unconventional weapons including homemade explosives, and booby traps. </li></ul>Mortar Rocket Propelled Grenade Left: This is a Punji trap that would be covered up by grass. When an unsuspecting American stepped over the trap, he would fall in to his death.
7. The Vietcong Use Guerrilla Warfare to their Advantage <ul><li>The Communist Vietnamese forces were inferior to the Americans in both man power and fire power, so practicing Guerrilla Warfare allowed them to keep their casualties to a minimum while inflicting significant casualties on American troops. </li></ul><ul><li>In addition, constantly being in their underground tunnels caused American spy planes to be unable to confirm Vietcong troop movement. This meant that U.S. forces never knew where the Vietnamese forces were, where they were going, or when they would attack. </li></ul><ul><li>Overall, Guerrilla Warfare gave the Vietcong forces a great advantage over the Americans making it an almost impossible war for the them to fight. </li></ul>
8. Works Cited "Guerrilla Tactics: An Overview." Battlefield: Vietnam . PBS. 28 Oct 2008 <http://www.pbs.org/battlefieldvietnam/guerrilla/index.html>. Mao, Tse-tung. "What is Guerrilla Warfare." Mao Tse-tung Reference Archive. 2000. Marxists Internet Archive. 28 Oct 2008 <http://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/mao/works/1937/guerrill a-warfare/ch01.htm>.