1. Building a New World United Nation- a new international organization that would prevent another world war. General Assembly would consist of the winners of WWII• Britain•France•China•Soviet Union•United States
2. Mission of the United Nations• It could investigate all international problems and propose settlements to countries that had disputes with each other.• It could also take action to preserve the peace
3. Nuremberg Trials• The winners—the Allies– intended to punish the leaders of the Axis powers for war crimes.• 22 leaders of Nazi Germany were prosecuted, as well as several lower ranking government officials and military officers—many sentences to death by hanging or prison time.• Similar trials war held in Tokyo.
4. P.O.W’s• Second Geneva Convention of 1929
5. P.O.W.s• Percentage of POWs that Died : Russian POWs held by Germans57.5%• German POWs held by Russians35.8%• American POWs held by Japanese33.0%• German POWs held by Eastern Europeans32.9%British POWs held by Japanese24.8%British POWs held by Germans3.5%German POWs held by French2.58%German POWs held by Americans0.15%German POWs held by British0.03%
6. POW in the US• Shorty after the US entered the war, England asked for help with the German POW’s it had. We built POW camps in over 46 states, building 511 housing Area Camps containing over 425,000 POWs• Work camps—farming, canning,• Not very publicized• Following pictures taken from the Nebraska State Historical Society• Barbers Hill
7. G. I. Bill-a bill that gave all veterans of WWII many benefits including free college tuition and low housing interest rate loans.• http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/progra ms/2007/06/18/#friday