Building a New World
United Nation- a new international
organization that would prevent another
General Assembly would consist of the
winners of WWII
Mission of the United Nations
• It could investigate all international problems
and propose settlements to countries that had
disputes with each other.
• It could also take action to preserve the peace
• The winners—the Allies– intended to punish
the leaders of the Axis powers for war crimes.
• 22 leaders of Nazi Germany were prosecuted,
as well as several lower ranking government
officials and military officers—many sentences
to death by hanging or prison time.
• Similar trials war held in Tokyo.
• Percentage of POWs that Died :
Russian POWs held by Germans57.5%
• German POWs held by Russians35.8%
• American POWs held by Japanese33.0%
• German POWs held by Eastern
British POWs held by Japanese24.8%
British POWs held by Germans3.5%
German POWs held by French2.58%
German POWs held by Americans0.15%
German POWs held by British0.03%
POW in the US
• Shorty after the US entered the war, England asked for
help with the German POW’s it had. We built POW
camps in over 46 states, building 511 housing Area
Camps containing over 425,000 POWs
• Work camps—farming, canning,
• Not very publicized
• Following pictures taken from the Nebraska State
• Barbers Hill
G. I. Bill-a bill that gave all veterans of
WWII many benefits including free
college tuition and low housing
interest rate loans.