• Share
  • Email
  • Embed
  • Like
  • Save
  • Private Content
Green IT - a Marketing Term or Sustainable Business, part 1
 

Green IT - a Marketing Term or Sustainable Business, part 1

on

  • 2,180 views

The ICT industry is accountable for 2% of the global CO2 emissions. But can IT be an enabler to reduce the remaining 98%? This theme session presents case studies showing that it is possible, with ...

The ICT industry is accountable for 2% of the global CO2 emissions. But can IT be an enabler to reduce the remaining 98%? This theme session presents case studies showing that it is possible, with the help of modern IT tools, to improve efficiency, track origin of raw material and help reduce the environmental impact.

Statistics

Views

Total Views
2,180
Views on SlideShare
2,159
Embed Views
21

Actions

Likes
5
Downloads
0
Comments
1

5 Embeds 21

http://www.tieto.com 12
http://www.slideshare.net 6
http://tieto.de 1
http://www.tietoenator.com.ru 1
http://www.untis.fi 1

Accessibility

Categories

Upload Details

Uploaded via as Microsoft PowerPoint

Usage Rights

© All Rights Reserved

Report content

Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel

11 of 1 previous next

  • Full Name Full Name Comment goes here.
    Are you sure you want to
    Your message goes here
    Processing…
Post Comment
Edit your comment
  • So we continued to develop this system into a new type of product and offering to our customers. We call it Corporate Responsibility Services. It is a decision making and communication tools for all corporate levels, value-chain and networks. It can be used for all type of businesses and all type of products and services. Historically, all companies made economic reports. The clear trend is however that in the future we all have to make Economical, environmental and social reports, and that is what corporate responsibility is all about. It is easy to for instants calculate CO2 emissions for any product or services and If you would like to see a demonstration, you are welcome to visit our stand here at Globe Forum or contact any of our representatives.This is just one example on how you can use an IT system in order to become both more environmentally friendly and more competitive on your respective market.We will of course put higher demands on our sub-suppliers as well. Up to now, the selection for instance of an IT supplier has been based on quality and price issues. We can now add the Corporate Responsibility issues to that list. We have seen the first example where a buyer even is willing to pay a premium to a suppliers shoring high in a CR audit but right now this is becoming a hygiene factor. Those companies that don’t meet the minimum corporate responsibility criteria's will simply be out of business. And for the sake of our environment, that is a good thing.I'm convinced that these type of services will increase in the future. We have only seen the beginning of this new trend and these kinds of IT systems will help us all to be better both as human beings and as companies and organizations.

Green IT - a Marketing Term or Sustainable Business, part 1 Green IT - a Marketing Term or Sustainable Business, part 1 Presentation Transcript

  • Green IT – a Marketing Term or Sustainable Business? Carl-Harald Andersson, Senior Vice President Tieto Corporation © 2009 Tieto Corporation
  • What is Green IT? Does it exist? Most common definition: Green IT is the study and practice of using computer resources efficiently •Including manufacturing & recycle computer components •Running computer systems & data centers efficiently •Using IT systems to measure, monitor and reduce environmental burden from any product, process or activity © 2009 Tieto Corporation
  • Climate Change is on every agenda ICT Accounts for Approximately 2% of Global CO2 Emissions As much as the aviation industry 3 © 2009 Tieto Corporation Pictures: ImagePark.biz
  • Corporate Responsibility Framework • Complies the UN Global Compact initiative and Social Accountability International, SA 8000 • In 2008, Tieto was included in the Global 100 list of most sustainable corporations in the world • Member of three sustainable development indices: • Ethibel Sustainability Index • FTSE4Good • Kempen SNS Smaller Europe SRI Index © 2009 Tieto Corporation
  • Green IT management framework Business Communi- cation Office Digital Environ- Workplace ment Green IT Green Technology Procurement Green IT Policy Service Data Desk & IT Centre Support © 2009 Tieto Corporation
  • Green IT management framework Business Communi- cation Reduced traveling Office Digital Environ- Workplace ment Green IT Green Technology Procurement Green IT Policy Service Data Desk & IT Centre Support © 2009 Tieto Corporation
  • Green IT management framework Business Communi- cation Office Digital Environ- Workplace ment Green IT Green Technology Procurement Green IT Policy Service Data Desk & IT Centre Support © 2009 Tieto Corporation
  • Green IT management framework Business Communi- cation Office Digital Environ- Workplace ment Green IT Green Technology Re-use heat from servers Procurement Green IT Efficient cooling system Policy Service Data Desk & IT Centre Support © 2009 Tieto Corporation
  • Green IT management framework Business Communi- cation Office Digital Environ- Workplace ment Green IT Green Technology Procurement Green IT Policy Service Data Desk & IT Thin Clients & Centralised Centre Support Administration © 2009 Tieto Corporation
  • Green IT management framework Business Communi- cation Office Digital Environ- Workplace ment Green IT Green Technology Procurement Green IT Policy Service Data Desk & IT Centre Support © 2009 Tieto Corporation
  • IT As an Enabler IT can significantly contribute to control 2 % IT and reduce the Hello. My name is Hannu and I am98% of CO2 emissions caused CEO 98 % other16,000+ employee IT of a by other activities industries and industries company, committing to a sustainable future. © 2009 Tieto Corporation Picture: Flickr.com
  • Case study: Indisputable Key • Objective - Develop a methodology and advanced technologies that improves the use of wood and optimize the forest production, minimizing environmental impacts. • Budget: 12,7 M€ financed 50 % by EU • 29 partners in 5 countries representing Research Institutes, Universities, Industrial Developers, Forestry and Sawmill Companies. • RFID development by VTT, Confidex • Software developed by Tieto • Environmental performance management by IVL © 2009 Tieto Corporation
  • Problem • Equivalent of €5 billion of wood raw materials are going to waste in Europe. The major reason is that information regarding the raw materials are not available throughout the system. © 2009 Tieto Corporation
  • Solution • Harvester automatically applies RFID tags onto logs (Green tag) • Sensor and process data is associated with log identification • Accurate real-time data is used to improve yield, logistics, and to reduce waste and environmental impacts 14 © 2009 Tieto Corporation
  • Green Tag • Suitable for rugged environment – harsh all-weather, four-seasons • Compatibility with the pulping process • Biodegradable • Water-resistant transponder material • Pulping compatible tag material 15 © 2009 Tieto Corporation
  • Supply Chain Performance 16 © 2009 Tieto Corporation
  • Supply Chain Performance © 2009 Tieto Corporation
  • Benefits of ”The Indisputable Key” • Improves utilization of forest and energy resources → reduces waste and emissions, save up to €5 billion annually • Improves management of the whole wood supply chain • Secures origin of wood, reduces illegal logging and theft • Environmentally certified timber • The origin of wood can be traced 18 © 2009 Tieto Corporation
  • Key Performance Indicators • Used for both economic and environmental aspects • KPIs can be summed up to an integrated performance • Compare performance between different producers or production sites. 19 © 2009 Tieto Corporation
  • Corporate Responsibility Service A decision making and communication tools for all corporate levels, value-chain and network. Based on business domain standards, customer specific processes, value-chain analysis and business models. From a reporting and analysing perspective, it means a responsibility intelligence in form of: • Reports • Analysing tools 2010’s • KPI‟s 1990–2000’s Environmental Value transformation Economics Economical Social © 2009 Tieto Corporation 20
  • Gartner´s 10 Crucial Actions Points for Greener IT 1. Define an environmental policy 2. Start measuring and analysing 3. Green the staff: socialise the green issue and educate your workforce 4. Dare to switch off after hours 5. Begin the journey from “always on” to “always available” 6. Improve efficiency of the cooling in the data centre and factor in green design points into new data centres 7. Incorporate environmental criteria into procurement decisions 8. Start assessing your vendors - Beware the „green wash‟ 9. Create equipment disposal policy, process, control and audit trail 10. Be aware of GLOBAL e-waste legislation © 2009 Tieto Corporation
  • Knowledge. Passion. Results. Thank You carl-harald.andersson@tieto.com © 2009 Tieto Corporation