1. This summer is Michael and my tenth wedding anniversary. Last fall, we began planning a big celebration trip. We are excited to tell you about what we decided to do instead…… We (along with our family at Eternal Church) are going to Guatemala to build houses for and to minister to widows and orphans! The trip is July 7th-July 14th. We went in 2008 and it was a life changing experience!On the trip we build houses, provide clothes and toys for the families, participate in feeding programs, do grounds maintenance at the orphanage, and provide water treatment systems to help the community once we leave!
2. Why Guatemala:During thesecond half of the20th century, a 36-year guerrilla warleft thousands ofGuatemalanwomen andchildren widowedand orphaned.There are anestimated 75,000widows in themountain regionwhere we aregoing! Many ofthese widows are In ChiChi, we build 12x12 and 12x18 housesliving under lean- for full families. Eachtos with their house has one bunkchildren. Most bed, a concrete floor, alive in extreme window, and a door withpoverty. a lock.
3. Pray America: Our partner inGuatemala has founded 2orphanages, several feedingprograms and a clinic thatfeeds/disciples hundreds tothousands of children and widows inGuatemala multiple times per week.Pray America uses home building(approximately 100 per year) as anopportunity to network in villagesand minister to the people. Thereare no strings attached to thehomes, and recipients are notrequired to have any religiousbeliefs or preference.Visit www.prayamerica.org for moreinformation. Currently Pray Americais building an orphanage for girlsand boys that cannot get into otherorphanages. This is the picture I took of one of the widows after I was able to hand her the lock and key to the first house she has ever owned.
4. One of the best things about the trip isthe time we get to spend with the kids. We could build the house in four hours and be gone. Instead, we get to play with, eat with, love on, and minister to the kids at each build site.
5. We stay at night at the Pray America compound in the middle of the city and have time to explore and learn about the culture.
6. This is my favorite picture from our last trip…. On the way to the feeding program, we always hand out candyto the children along our route. This one little girl was excited about her Tootsie-Roll she received but she could not unwrap it. Michael held his hand out in an offer to help but, because of how much she prized the treat and her distrust forstrangers, she would not give it to him for fear he would take it away. After continuing to struggle, she finally handed it to him for assistance. He unwrapped it and sheimmediately opened hermouth and let him hand feed her…. the ultimate sign of trust.
7. We are excited about each one of you being an integral part of this next important mission. Thank you for all of your prayers and support!
8. If you would like more information about the trip itself, go to: http://eternalchurch.net/evangelism/missions.phpHow You Can Help: There are three ways you can get involved: Prayer Support Supply Donations (for the trip; also yard sale items for our big fundraiser in May) Financial Support - This trip will cost $1,600.00 per person plus the cost of the houses, which we pay in advance. We hope to build 12 houses per team at a cost of $1,350 per house. If you feel led to give financially, you can give by credit card online at: http://eternalchurch.net/worship/OnlineGiving.php Please click/choose for: Missions. In the MEMO line, indicate Michael and Jennifer Belk. To make a general donation, leave the MEMO section blank. You may donate by check and support individuals, teams, or give directly towards a widow home by marking the memo line of your check made to Eternal at: PO Box 1509 Fort Mill, SC 29716-1509 If you are willing to support our team financially, you will directly impact the lives of those less fortunate.
9. To find out more about Eternal, go to:eternalchurch.net• Purpose Why do we exist? As individuals and as a church, we exist to glorify God and enjoy Him forever.• Vision What are we trying to accomplish? Our vision for the church is to love God and love People according to the Scriptures.• Mission How do we accomplish the vision? We accomplish our Vision by focusing on the four pillars of ministry: Worship, Evangelism, Community, and Discipleship. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND INTEREST!