1. SOCIAL MEDIA 2.0:THE INTEREST GRAPH or I know what you did last summer,so let me tell you what you should do this one
2. A SIMPLE TRUTH• facebook: What are you thinking now?• twitter: What are you doing now?• foursquare: Where are you now?• instagram: What are you seeing now?• last.fm: What are you listening to now? Int yo ern ur et is wi f e!
3. HOW WE GOT HERE1. The age of Email & Directories: 1995...2. The age of Instant Messaging & Search Engines: ...1999...3. The age of Social Media: ...2004...4. The age of the Apps Ecosystem: 2008...
4. ACCELERATED ADAPTATION RATE 150Rate of Adaption by users 113 75 38 0 Google facebook twitter foursquare instagram
5. SOCIAL MEDIA 1.0: THE SOCIAL GRAPH the global mapping ofeverybody and how theyre related Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_graph
6. THE SOCIAL GRAPH1.Social Media work as a platform for users to communicate and share content2.Each user is his/her own Brand3.Communication inside a social graph can become viral
7. THE SOCIAL GRAPHIn 1992, BritishanthropologistRobin Dunbarcalculated that thehuman brains sizeshould lead to oursocial groupsnaturally averagingat around 150people.
8. THE SOCIAL GRAPHIn Social Networks, it is commonfor users to have hundreds eventhousands of “friends” or“followers”The number of active“connections” neverthelessusually remains bellow150 Source: facebook Maintained Relationships on Facebook (1) How Many Friends Can You Have? (1)
9. THE SOCIAL GRAPHTo truly harness the power ofthe social graph, we need morethan a platform that connects uswith everyone we know.We need a platform thatconnects us to the people &content we should know. Source: facebook Maintained Relationships on Facebook (1) How Many Friends Can You Have? (1)
10. THE SOCIAL GRAPH& the technology is here...
11. THE RECOMMENDATION ENGINESMarissa Mayer (Vice President, Search Products & User Experience, Google) “...card companies know with 98% accuracy two years beforethat youre going to get divorced...” (SXSW 2011)
12. THE RECOMMENDATION ENGINESWhether or not the previous claim is true, on-line retailers inthe past few years have been betting their future on the ideathat they can harness the power of their user-basepreferences & consumption patterns, to bring more relativerecommendations with a higher probability of purchasing.Netﬂix on Sep 2009, offered a grand prize of 1.000.000 $ fora recommendation algorithm that bested their own.
13. THE RECOMMENDATION ENGINESIt all ends up to answering a simple question: “What would you most probably buy?”...based on your own past actions & those of people withsimilar preferences and patterns to yours.
14. THE RECOMMENDATION ENGINESIn a similar way the Social Graph could beneﬁt fromanswering a simple question: “What would you most probably like to share/ read/ watch/ listen to?”
15. SOCIAL MEDIA 2.0: THE INTEREST GRAPHthe network of people whoshare interests with you, butwho you don’t necessarily knowpersonally
16. THE INTEREST GRAPHThe interest graph represents the convergence of themechanisms behind the Social Networks & the PersonalizedRecommendation Engines.It analyzes yours & your friends’ interests, compares them toall the other users with similar patterns of behavior, anddelivers new recommendations on content that is closer toyour likings.
17. THE INTEREST GRAPHThe interest graph is the new way todiscover new content & people withsimilar tastes to you.It is the new way to get from yoursocial graph (& beyond), the contentthat will interest you personally, and notthe latest “cute little kitty” video, ormessage from a brand you wouldnever use.
18. THE INTEREST GRAPHOne of the ﬁrst areas where it is being implemented, is that ofthe “Social Magazines”.These applications aggregate content from a variety of socialmedia, and based on speciﬁc algorithms, present to the userthe content that is considered more relevant to his/herpreferences.The more the user uses the applications, the more accuratethey become.
19. THE INTEREST GRAPHIt is already implemented in applications like ZITE & NewsMix and soon in Flipboard
20. THE INTEREST GRAPHAs brands need to engage their existing and prospectcustomers in a deeper level and with a higher accuracy, theinterest graph introduces a new challenge and opportunity:To communicate your messages to those people that couldgenuinely be interested to what you have to say.The interest graph promises to deliver your message to thosethat interest you.
21. THE INTEREST GRAPHIt is here to tell you: “I know what you did last summer, so let me tell you what you should do this one”