BUT WE NEED A LITTLE MORE...
As entrepreneurs (marketers),
we need influence
"Selling to people who actually want to
hear from you is more effective than
interrupting strangers who don't"
DON’T CREATE A MARKET, FIND ONE
"The goal is not to do business with everybody
who needs what you have. The goal is to do
business with people who believe what you
ITS A NOISY, NOISY WORLD
“Adding a zero to your paycheck” is
all about density
Connect with groups already
talking about your message
Speak to receptive ears
Cut through noise (don’t add to it)
BRANDED COMMUNITIES WORK
All this from a soda?
EVEN TV SHOWS ARE DOING IT
CREATE MEANINGFUL IMPACT
● Make the world a better place (one tribe at a time)
● Today’s consumer expects CSR from businesses:
HOW DO I BUILD A TRIBE?
Determine why people will participate
Determine who will join
Craft your message
Plan the roadmap
Develop the activities
Establish the communication channel
Start the conversation
Shoot for critical mass
TYPES OF TRIBES
Community of Place (geography)
Community of Practice (same activities)
Community of Interest (love of...)*
Community of Action (causing change)
Community of Circumstance (situation)
Can be more than one (better if it is)
EXAMPLE #1: Startup Nation
Community of Interest
Community of Practice
EXAMPLE #2: Red Bull
Community of Interest
Community of Practice*
● “Worldview” is the set of expectations and
biases that color the way each of us see
"The goal isn't to find people who have already decided
that they urgently want to go where you are going. The
goal is to find a community of people that desire to be in
sync and who have a bias in favor of the action you want
them to take."
● Planet Fitness commercials
● Targets people with a "That’s why I don’t
like gyms" worldview
1. WHY PEOPLE WILL PARTICIPATE
● Find existing interest / passion (worldview)
● What will engage your audience?
● Join (knowledge) is not Participate (emotion)
TYPES OF COMMON INTERESTS
Spend a lot of our money on
Fashion / clothing
Provokes a strong emotional reaction
Spend a lot of our time on
Books / TV shows
Represents a group / status / our identity
Jobs / career-related
TRIBE MEMBERS BENEFIT BY...
Learning a new skill
Gaining new knowledge
Increasing their personal status (exclusivity)
Boosting their income
Developing new relationships (biz / dating)
Participating in competition (gaming)
Try to include as many of these as possible
into your tribe’s membership lifecycle
2. WHO WILL JOIN
● Be very clear
● Who will join during each phase?
● Find existing discussions (hashtags, etc.)
around the common interest
● Internet makes it much easier to find them
● Where do they hang out?
3. YOUR MESSAGE
● Craft message around common interest
● What is the common aspiration?
● How can you help them achieve it?
You can do it
4. THE ROADMAP
● Plan a path that leads to their goal
● What hurdles block the path?
● Result breakdown process (next section)
5. THE ACTIVITIES
● Develop activities that move them forward
● Activities Calendar (next section)
● The key to building a tribe is regular
activities, not just content
COMMUNITY VS. BLOG
● Blog = content focus (1-way-ish)
● Community = activities focus (2-way-ish)
● A discussion,
● An event, or
● A piece of content
Community can be built around a highly-commented blog
TARGET THE DESTINATION
● Where is your tribe’s aspiration?
PERCEPTION IS REALITY
● Are they overwhelmed by the road ahead?
● Break up trip into easy-to-achieve chunks
HELP THEM THROUGH EACH CHUNK
● Share your plan
Create a podcast / video / blog post
series discussing each milestone
Making all decisions
Allowing unnecessary drama
TO SUM IT UP...
● Find an existing common interest
● Connect people with that common
interest (with each other & with you)
● Figure out where they want to go
● Help them get there
● Tribes are focused communities
Community building is a science, but not rocket science
Follow a proven path and it will come together