October 2014 - DrupalCamp Atlanta - Digital Asset Management in Drupal
Building Out Your Own
Digital Asset Management
Managing those precious assets using contributed Drupal
• Eric Scott Sembrat
• Web Manager for the College of Engineering at
• Ph.D. Student in Instructional Technology at
Georgia State University
• Website: http://ericsembrat.com
• Twitter: @esembrat
• The state of media management in Drupal 7 is
fragmented and antiquated for the Web.
• As compared to Web 2.0 applications
• As compared to Wordpress
• The development of several
modules have attempted
to bridge this divide.
• To propose a series of modules and settings to
construct your own digital asset management
• To look forward to the construction
of a custom DAM, we need to look
at why and how we arrived here.
Why Wordpress Doesn’t Work
• Lack of Modular Plugin Design Principles
• One-Size-Fits-All Approach to Component Design
Why Drupal’s Core Doesn’t Work
• Subpar user experience
for upload and selection
• File metadata not
exposed by default
• GD2’s limited scope
• Use Drupal’s extensive field and modular design to
construct a metadata-rich DAM.
• Extend Drupal’s file and image management with fields
(metadata) and structure (content types, entities).
• Leverage Drupal’s dynamic entity display suite to manage,
display, resize, and sort assets.
• Easy access to adjust, add, and disable features, fields, and
What is File Entity?
• Extending file entities in core for new features and
• Fieldable File Types (image, file, audio, video, doc)
• Custom File Types with Fields
• File Display Modes