COMMUNITY &THE SOCIAL MEDIA EQUATION EVE MAYER ORSBURNı JANUARY 26, 201 | 2-3p CT ı 1 +
WHAT IS SOCIAL MEDIA• An ONLINE COMMUNITY shared with people who like anddo similar things that you like and do• A place to have a CONVERSATION with colleagues, fellowconsumers, and customers• A place where people GIVE and GET information aboutthings that interest them• Social Media is simply people COMMUNICATING throughnew technologies
WHAT DOES SOCIAL MEDIA INCLUDETRIPADVISOR: considered a social media vehicle because it allowsusers to ‘rate their experience’FACEBOOK: the largest social media networkFOURSQUARE: social media application that shares a user’s ‘location-base’TWITTER: a micro-blog networkLINKEDIN: largest professional networkOther social media: Flickr, Yelp, YouTube, Blogs, MeetUp, Reddit,and StumbleUpon
THE 5 STEP PLAN TO POSITIVE ROISTEP 1: SHUT UP AND LISTEN!STEP 2: WHY OPPOSITES ATTRACTSTEP 3: ONE BALL IS NOT ENOUGH TO JUGGLESTEP 4: THE SOCIAL MEDIA EQUATIONSTEP 5: THE ROI OF SOCIAL MEDIA
1. SHUT UP & LISTEN!Listen for what people are saying about your: • INDUSTRY • COMPANY • PRODUCT(S)/SERVICE(S)
2. WHY OPPOSITES ATTRACT Although it’s okay to join a few groups to keep up with your industry, make like-minded connections and follow trends, make sure the MAJORITY of the groups you join target your key prospects.
3. ONE BALL IS NOTENOUGH TO JUGGLE Areas of your company that can leverage social media: • Customer Service • Marketing • Company Goal Fulfillment
10 SOCIAL MEDIA TIPS FOR RADIO STATIONS1. Youre an entertainer – show it! If your social media personality comes across as boring, lame and "not getting it," people will associate your on-air show and station with that same lameness.2. Provide benefits, not commercials. Things people like: Download here, Read this..., Post links, Post videos, Front row tickets in 10 minutes, Conversation starters - "How do you pack your kids for camp?," Check out this contest online, Go here for free samples, Meet us tomorrow @ ______ from 2pm-4pm - Well have free _____.
3. Social media is a two-way street. Have a conversation with your listeners. Pay attention to what people say. Reciprocate, respond, comment - like their photos4. Make it easy for your listeners to find you! Use your station website to link them to your social media sites.5. Dont let social media overwhelm your main job. What comes out of the speakers should always come first!6. Think about the content on your social media sites like you think about the content on-air or on your station website.
7. Avoid liners/radio speak (not everything translates well to a 140- character conversation). How you "read" it on the radio may be different than how you "write" it in a social media post.8. There is a difference between your personal page and your fan page. The best rule of thumb is not to mix the two.9. The content of your page must match the personality of the station overall.10. Make sure your social media sites are gateways back to radio’s core audio content, rather than a distracting parallel activity.
LET’S CONNECT | Eve Mayer Orsburn: Eve@SocialMediaDelivered.com www.LinkedIn.com/in/EveMayerOrsburn www.Twitter.com/LinkedInQueen Social Media Delivered: www.SocialMediaDelivered.com www.Twitter.com/SocialMediaDel Contact@SocialMediaDelivered.com 469-248-0616 Social Media is all we do.