Effective Public Communication
Class Test – Set A
Student Number: ______________
Multiple choice questions – Answer all questions. (12 marks)
1. The primary association a word has for most members of a community is:
2. In private language, meaning is assigned:
with shared meanings.
Codes which have some commonality and some differences in perceived meaning are:
4. According to The Urban Dictionary, which of the following refers to a “hot chick”?
5. Which of the following is not one of the three ways nonverbal relates to verbal
6. Which of the following tends to be a submissive gesture?
7. Hall’s distance of one and a half to four feet is comfortable for conversation with friends and
A. intimate distance.
B. social distance.
C. personal distance.
D. public distance.
8. Barker found what percent of a message could be recalled immediately after listening to it?
9. Listening in the traditional classroom best fits which listening category?
10. Patsy is nodding meaningfully at the lecturer but is really thinking about lunch. Patsy is:
preoccupied by semantics.
Dan Aykroyd listening.
11. If Faron says, “I don’t care what color you paint the walls; I don’t want to fight with you.
You decide.” his statement reflects which strategy?
12. Which step is probably least used in negotiation?
Analysis of the situation
Closure of negotiations
Maintenance of control
True/False – Answer all questions. Underline the correct answer. (9 marks)
13. A word has the same meaning for all people within a given culture. True/False
14. Sapir-Whorf would suggest that language used to describe things influences our very
experience of those things. True/False
15. Calling an event a “success” or a “failure” can significantly affect how we deal with it.
16. When nonverbal contradicts verbal, most people believe the verbal message. True/False
17. People often pay no attention to the nonverbal messages and draw meaning entirely from
the verbal message. True/False
18. The ability to process more information per minute than the rate of normal speech helps
poor listeners. True/False
19. Short term memory seems linked more to sight than to sound. True/False
20. Parties in negotiated exchanges are more likely to perceive their partner’s behavior as fair
than partners in reciprocal exchanges. True/False
21. Conflict does not exist unless goals of parties are truly incompatible. True/False
Section C. Short answers of 150-200 words – (9 marks)
Choose one of the THREE of the questions below. The following questions are to be answered
based on the video ‘Secrets of Body Language’ that you have watched or ‘The Joy Luck Club’
or ‘The Bridget Jones Diary’.
22 a. According to the video ‘Secrets of Body Language’, how can we tell if someone is lying?
Give two examples of public figures who were not telling the truth according to the video.
22 b. Name two concepts mentioned in the video ‘Secrets of Body Language’ that was not
covered in the textbook and give examples of this concept.