What is a Group Discussion?
A GD is a methodology used by an organization
to gauge whether the candidate has certain
personality traits and/or skills that it desires in its
In this methodology, the group of candidates is
given a topic or a situation, given a few minutes to
think about the same, and then asked to discuss
the it among themselves for 15-20 minutes.
Why a Group Discussion?
The reason why institutes put the candidates through a
Group discussion and an interview, after testing your
technical and conceptual skills in an exam, is to get to know
you as a person and gauge how well you will fit in their
The Group discussion tests how you function as a part of
What is tested?
• Communication skills
• Reasoning ability/Thinking
• People handling skills
Ability to work in a team
• Leadership skills
Do’s in GD
1. Keep an open mind
2. Take leadership responsibilities
3. Maintain a moderate tone of voice
4. Don’t be emotional
5. Focus on your body language
6. Be a good listener
7. Accept Criticism
1. Do not make constant objections to
other people’s arguments
2. Don’t insult other people, criticize in a
3. Dump your jealousy or animosity
4. No personal experiences
5. Don’t be an attention seeker
The main objective of GD is to check how you
(a) behave, participate and contribute in a group,
(b) how much importance do you give to the group objective as well as
(c) how well do you listen to viewpoints of others and;
(d) how open-minded you are in accepting views contrary to your own.
• I agree I disagree
• I feel the same way I have different idea,
• Pardon me, Could you go over again,
• Excuse me for interrupting, The main reason is ….
• May I say something here Because…..
• I didn’t get that The important thing is….
• Could you repeat that