Gender and the effects of
To discuss the significance of feminism
and post-feminism in the media and to
apply production work
The pre-feminist era.
• Remember the ‘Mad Men’ clip?
• The pre 1960’s world was a very different place?
Feminism – a reminder
• Ideologies from subordinate groups that challenge the
dominant power structure include feminism.
• Feminism is a social theory that challenges the dominant
patriarchal power structures controlled by men.
• In its most basic form feminism is merely an
acknowledgement of gender inequality, in the home and in
• In the 1960s feminism liberated many women away from
being housewives and mothers.
Laura Mulvey- ‘The Male Gaze’
• Laura Mulvey is feminist film theorist. In her essay Visual
Pleasure and narrative cinema’ she said this….
• ‘The male gazeoccurs when the camera puts the
audience into the perspective of a heterosexual man’.
• And this….
• The woman is usually displayed on two different levels:
as an erotic object for both the characters within the
film, as well as the spectator who is watching the film.
The man emerges as the dominant power within the
created film fantasy.’
• What is Mulvey suggesting?
• That the woman is a passive sex object to the active
gaze from the man who gains pleasure from looking.
Is HERMIONE a post-feminist icon?
• Post –feminism developed after 60s feminism and came to the fore
as a new form in the 80s.
• As an ideology it had moved on from feminism, they believed that
women had gained relative equality with men but wanted more.
• It further believes that women could ‘USE THEIR SEXUALITY FOR
EMPOWERMENT’ and assume traditional female roles (motherhood)
whilst simultaneously being in control of their lives, ‘juggling’ a
family and a career.
• This is sometimes referred to as the TRIPLE BURDEN- wife, mother,
Modern Post Feminist Woman-
• Task: in pairs discuss and define what you think are the
attributes of modern post feminist woman. Make notes on
• Some points:
• Be feminine and attractive to the opposite sex.
• Downplay the domestic goddess role.
• Go to university and have a career.
• Have a family (but on her terms when she is ready!)
Starter: The consequences for Men?
• What have been the consequences for men as
result of post feminism? How have men had to
• Men taking greater care in their appearance.
• More domesticated.
• Sharing of power.
• No longer gender based jobs.
• Men can express their feelings openly.
Other issues with Feminism?
• Is very much from a European
• Some attempts to discuss gender
issues around black and Asian
women- bell hooks.
What would post- feminists say
about this poster?
How would you
‘read’ this poster
from a post-feminist
Post Feminism –a
• Post-Feminism has had a huge impact on gender
politics in the last 30 years.
• Men, in turn have had to change as women’s role
in society has changed (the new man). The
Patriarchal system has broken down.
• The media has constantly reflected the changing
place of women in society.
• Remember the ‘fluidity of representation’.
• Can you relate post-feminism and
Mulvey’s feminist film critique to your
trailer or ancillary tasks?
• Spend 10 mins making notes.