Definition of Feminism:
The advocacy of women's rights on the ground
of the equality of the sexes
Feminism in the music industry:
• There are many songs in the 90’s and on that are about women and their
• Queen Latifa ‘U.N.I.T.Y’, Salt ‘n’ Pepper ‘Ain’t Nothin but a She Thing’,
Spice Girls ‘Wanna Be’, Alicia Keys ‘A Womans Worth’
• Pink ‘Stupid Girls’, Lily Allens ‘Hard Out Here’ and ‘22’, Christina Aguilera
‘Can’t Hold Us Down’
Beyonce as a Feminist icon?
• Some of Beyonce songs in the past have shown that she is a feminist
• These songs include: Destiny’s Child ‘Survivor’ and ‘Independent Woman’,
Beyonce’s ‘Run The World (Girls)’
• She portrays the image in her songs that women are strong and don’t need
• However her recent album ‘Beyonce’ has portrayed the image that it is
important to be what a man wants
Beyonce’s Beyonce Album
• Her songs such as ‘Partition’ and ‘Blow’ encourage the fact that womens
bodies are at the hands of a man.
• Many of her music videos for some of her previous empowering songs have
Beyonce in skimpy clothing as well.
• So is she a feminist or not?
• Her song ‘Flawless’ which is on the most recent album features a section of a
feminist speech by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, showing her support for the
• However, the song itself is about Beyonce being ‘flawless’ instead of what
her previous songs were about being loved ‘flaws and all’
• The video yet again, shows her wearing very short shorts but she’s also
wearing a buttoned up shirt, covering most of her up. Feminist or not?
• Feminism was very popular in songs from the 90’s and have continued to be
• There are many songs that have promoted feminism.
• Beyonce was seen as a strong feminist leader but now many people wonder
where this leader has gone