The average student’s lifestyle Going to university once you have left school, after completing a gap year or returning later in life has always been a popular choicethroughout the years. However many things have changed through the generations of students attending university. Not only has university fee’s tripled to what they used to be years ago, but how students now live their lives. This is by numbers how the average 21st universitystudent now live their lives while studying at university and living away from home for the very first time.
1. Average night’s sleep.• Sleeping is a questionable subject when it comes to the student lifestyle. Whether it be all nighters being pulled from looming deadlines, or not coming back until the early hours of the morning, because there are no parents to comment on this. The average student now has 6 hours of sleep a night.
2. Money spent on drink in a weekend• Being able to go out when and where you want, and having no parents or family members around can be a freeing experience. So it’s no surprise that a student spends £40 on a average weekend.
3. Money spent on food shopping.• Food shopping and cooking for yourself can be a daunting experience for many student, espically if they have never had to worry about such things before. Many students ensure they get the basics meaning they have more money to go out etc. £15 is spent on food
4. Time spent doing uni work.• Trying to find a balance between your social life and doing work for your course can be difficult especially when there is no one around to encourage you to study. The average student spends 5 hours a week completing private study for their course.
5. Average amount of weekends going home.• Going home for a break from uni work and constant partying can feel necessary for some students. Getting your washing done for you and proper home cooked meals that arnt from a box is always a plus. On average students go home every 6 weeks
6. Time spent going to lectures• Waking up with raging hangovers or only just having 3 hours sleep, seems a good enough reason to stay in bed and promise yourself you will go into your next lecture. But as students are having to pay more for their fee’s this attitude is not held by all students. 3 attended a week.
7. Time spent cleaning bedroom• For many students when they chose to move out for uni, its a fair distance from their family home, meaning their mum cant pop in and clean up after them. Taking it in to their own hands the average student spends 2 hours a week cleaning their bedroom
8. Time spent on social networking sites.• Social networking sites especially facebook are known to be quite addictive in any age group. It can be difficult to log out when your friends are constantly writing on your wall or tagging you in photo’s from the weekend. The average spends 12 on social networking sites a week.
9. Doing clothes washing• Doing your washing just like cleaning your bedroom can be a reluctant chore, especially when you have had someone to do it for you. But once you got the hang of it, it doesn’t seem as bad. An average of 1 washes a week are done at the laundrette.
10. Spending money on clothes etc• After spending money on a weekend, the second thing most student’s money will go on is buying new clothes, DVD’s etc. It is no surprise that £45 is spent on an average week on clothes.