Food And Digestion
• Some food comes from animals, like milk.
• Others, comes from plants like fruit and
• We also need water and salt , that do not
come from plants
• We classify food into five groups:
1. Grains gives us energy.
2. Vegetables gives us vitamines.
3. Fruit gives us vitamines to be healthy.
4. Milk gives us calcium to grow and have
5. Meat, fish and beans
give us proteins to have
A healthy diet
• Our diet is made up of the things that we
eat and drink.
• We need to eat from all the groups to stay
healthy, this is a balanced diet.
THE DIGESTIVE SYSTEM
- The digestive system is made of
following organs: the mouth, oesophagus,
stomach, intestines and anus.
- Food enters our body through our mouth.
- Our oesophagus is a tube between the
mouth and stomach.
- Our stomach is like a bag.
- Our intestine is a long tube, made up of
small intestine and large intestine.
THE STAGES OF DIGESTION
• 1.Digestion begins in the mouth .
- Our theeth catch and chew the food.
- Our tongue mixes the food with saliva.
- Then the food goes down the esophagus
and into the stomach.
• 2. In the stomach food is mixed with a
liquid (gastric juice).
3. In the small intestine:
• - the food is dividided into the sustances
our body need.
• - all the useful parts of food go from our
small intestine into the blood.
4. Large intestine
• Parts we cannot use go into the large
• They are transformed into faeces and
expelled through the anus.
• Digestion takes time (about 2 hours)
• So we need to wait before swimming or