FOOD ANDFOOD AND
WE NEED FOOD TO LIVEWE NEED FOOD TO LIVE
• Food gives us the substances we
need to grow and to stay healthy.
• We get energy to walk or study.
• Some food comes from animals like
meat and milk.
• Other comes from plants, like fruit
• We also need water and salt ,that do
not come from plants or animals.
FOOD GROUPSFOOD GROUPS
• We classify food into five groups:
1. Grains give us energy.
2. Vegetables give us vitamines.
A HEALTHY DIET.A HEALTHY DIET.
• Our diet is made up of the things
that we eat and drink.
• We need to eat food from all the
groups to stay heathy, this is a
3. Fruit gives us vitamines to be
4. Milk gives us calcium to grow and
have strong bones.
5. Meat, beans and fish give us
proteins to have strong muscles.
HOW MUCH FOOD DO WEHOW MUCH FOOD DO WE
• The quantity of food we need
depends on how old we are and how
much physical exercise we do.
• When we are growing we need more
of some types of food. We need milk.
• If we do a lot of exercise, we need to
FOOD AND MEALS.FOOD AND MEALS.
–There are four meals that we eat
during the day: breakfast, lunch
tea and dinner.
–It is very important to have a
• A good breakfast provides the
nutrients that people need to start
the day off right.
• A good breakfast should have milk,
cereals and fruit.
THE DIGESTIVE SYSTEN.THE DIGESTIVE SYSTEN.
• The digestive system is made up of
the following organs: the mouth,
oesophagus, stomach, intestines and
• Food enters our body through our
• Our oesophagus is a tube between
our mouth and stomach.
• Our stomach is like a bag.
• Our intestine is a long tube, made up
of small intestine and large intestine.
• At the end of the large intestine is
THE STAGES OF DIGESTIONTHE STAGES OF DIGESTION
1. Digestion begins in the mouth.
- Our teeth cut and chew the food.
- Our tongue mixes the food with
- Then food goes down the
oesophagus and estomach.
2. IN THE ESTOMACH2. IN THE ESTOMACH
-In the stmach food is mixed with
- In the small intestine, the food is
divided into the subtances our body
- All the useful parts of our food go
from our small intestine into the
4.4. LargeLarge intestineintestine
• Parts we cannot use go into the large
• They are transformed into faeces and
expelled through the anus.
• Digestion takes time (2 hours).
- We should wait before we swim or