FOOD AND DIGESTION
WE NEED FOOD TO LIVE
• Food gives us the substances we need to
grow and to stay healthy.
• We get energy to walk or study.
• Some food comes from animals like meat
• Others, comes from plants like fruit and
• We also need water
and salt ,that do not
comes from plants
• We classify food into five groups:
• 1. Grains gives us energy.
• 2. Vegetables gives us vitamines.
• 3. Fruit gives us vitamines to be healthy.
• 4. Milk gives us calcium to grow and have
• 5. Meat ,fish and beans gives us energy to
have strong muscles.
A HEALTHY DIET
• Our diet is made up of the things that we
eat and drink.
• We need to eat food from all the groups to
stay healthy, this is a balanced diet.
HOW MUCH FOOD DO WE
• The quantity of food we need depends on
how old we are and how much physical
exercise we do.
• When we are growing we need more of
some types of food. For example, we need
• If we do a lot exercise, we need to eat
FOOD AND MEALS
• There are four meals that we eat during
the day: breakfast, lunch, tea and dinner.
• It is important to have a good breakfast.
• A good brekfast provides the nutrients that
people need to start their day off right.
• A good breakfast should have milk,
cereals and fruit.
THE DIGESTIVE SYSTEM
• The digestive system is made up of the
following organs: the mouth, oesophagus,
stomach, intestines and anus.
• Food enters our body trough our mouth.
• Our oesophagus is a tube between our
mouth and stomach.
• Our stomach is like a bag.
• Our intestine is a long tube, made up of
small intestine and large intestine.
• At the end of the large intestine is the
THE STAGES OF DIGESTION
1. Digestion begins in the mouth.
- Our theeth cut and chew the food.
- Our tongue mixes the food with saliva.
- Then food goes down the oesophagus and
into the stomach.
2.In the stomach.
- In the stomach food is mixed with gastric
3.In the small intestine.
- In the small intestine the food is divided
into the the substances our body needs.
- All the useful parts of food go from the
small intestine into the blood.
4. Parts we cannot use go into the large
-They are trasformed into faeces and
expelled through the anus.
- Digestion takes time (2 hours).We should
wait before swim or run.