Integrating Informational Text and Science Through the Polar Regions
1. Integrating Informational Text and Science Through the Polar Regions Jessica Fries-Gaither Elementary Resource Specialist and Project Director Ohio State University [email_address]
3. Integrating polar science and literacy in K-5 classrooms This work is supported by the National Science Foundation under Grant No. 0733024. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation. Nick Russill
4. The International Polar Year Will Steger An international, interdisciplinary, collaborative research effort from March 2007 to March 2009 Over 200 research projects and 60 countries involved Focused on understanding the Arctic and Antarctica and modeling the changes in a warming world 4th official International Polar Year (1882-3, 1932-3,1957-8)
18. Teaching reading strategies with Beyond Penguins informational text Each month’s Feature Story is paired with a reading strategy Reading (and re-reading) story allows students to learn science content and practice key reading comprehension strategies Content knowledge articles and templates provide support for students and teachers. Sue Sheridan
20. Cause and Effect Use science text to teach signal words and the text structure of cause and effect. Nick Russill
22. Note Taking Teach students to take notes by recording key words, paraphrased definitions, and by creating graphic representations of information.
25. Interested in Learning More? BPPB magazine http://beyondpenguins.nsdl.org/ BPPB blog http://expertvoices.nsdl.org/polar BPPB Shelfari Group www.shelfari.com/beyondpenguins/shelf Post: Informational Text and the Polar Regions Monthly “tours” of latest BPPB issue http://tappedin.org/tappedin/
Identifying Similarities and Differences was the literacy focus of Issue 1: A Sense of Place (March 2008).
Cause and effect was the literacy focus of Issue 3: Polar Patterns: Day, Night, and Seasons (May 2008).
Determining Importance was the literacy focus of Issue 6: Rocks and Minerals (September 2008).
Note taking was the literacy focus of Issue 7: Energy and the Polar Environment (October 2008).