IEA Executive Director Presentation to G20 Energy Ministers Session
IEA 2019. All rights reserved.
Energy Ministers Session
Dr. Fatih Birol,
Executive Director, International Energy Agency
Karuizawa, 15 June 2019
2IEA 2019. All rights reserved.
LNG is becoming the preferred way to move gas over long distances. In 2000, fewer than ten countries
were importing LNG. By the mid-2020s, the number of importing countries is set to reach fifty
LNG is spurring a second natural gas revolution
1 000 bcm
Share of LNG in global long-distance trade
3IEA 2019. All rights reserved.
Nuclear HydroWind BioenergySolar PV
Wind, solar PV and bioenergy provided 11% of electricity supply in G20 countries in 2018,
while nuclear power provided 12%, and hydro 16%
Clean electricity sources in G20 economies in 2018
4IEA 2019. All rights reserved.
Four key opportunities for scaling up hydrogen to 2030
5IEA 2019. All rights reserved.
2018 saw a worrying slowdown in energy efficiency progress despite IEA analysis showing huge untapped
potential remaining in all sectors. Stronger action on efficiency is imperative.
World energy efficiency improvements are slowing
2010-14 2015 2016 2017 2018
6IEA 2019. All rights reserved.
• Rising LNG exports, led by the US, Canada and Australia, are diversifying gas supply and
providing a catalyst for a new, more liquid & secure global market
• Without additional lifetime extensions or new projects, nuclear capacity in mature markets
would decline by two-thirds by 2040
• Hydrogen could play an important role in meeting energy security & decarbonisation goals, if
the barriers it faces can be overcome – G20 leadership can be pivotal
• Energy efficiency needs to be the world’s very “first fuel”, but it is showing a worrying
slowdown in its progress
• The IEA will continue to focus on “all fuels and all technologies” to provide the G20 with the
world’s best energy data, independent & rigorous analysis & real-world solutions
7IEA 2019. All rights reserved.