Mercury poisoning (also known
as hydrargyria or mercurialism) is a disease
caused by exposure to mercury or its compounds.
Mercury (chemical symbol Hg) is a heavy
metal occurring in several forms, all of which can
produce toxic effects in high enough doses.
Toxic effects include damage to the brain, kidney,
and lungs. Mercury poisoning can result in
several diseases, including:-
 acrodynia (pink disease),
 Hunter-Russell syndrome,
 Minamata disease.
peripheral neuropathy (presenting as paresthesia or
itching, burning or pain),
skin discoloration (pink cheeks, fingertips and toes),
desquamation (shedding of skin).
alveolar bone loss
loosening of teeth
burning sensation, with tingling of lips, face
tissue pigmentation (amalgam tattoo of gums)
stomatitis (sores in the mouth)
ulceration of gingiva, palate, tongue
The silver fillings used by dentists to restore teeth are
composed of a metal "amalgam" containing roughly 50%
elemental mercury and 50% other metals (mostly silver with
some tin and copper).
The mercury found in amalgam fillings has raised some safety
concerns over the years. Amalgam can release small amounts
of mercury vapor over time, and patients can absorb these
vapors by inhaling or ingesting them.
Dentists all over the world remove millions of amalgam fillings every
day, with no regard for the possible mercury exposure that can result
from grinding them out.
Taking out fillings with a high speed dental bur generates a cloud of
particles, at least 65% of which are one micron or less in size. These
are fully respirable, get deep into the lungs, where the microscopic
particles are broken down and the mercury is systemically absorbed
within a few days.
The mercury free dentists of the world have been acutely aware of the
excess exposure problem, and have devised a number of strategies for
reducing the amount of mercury exposure to both patients and dental
staff during amalgam removal.
are chemical substances that contain molecules
capable of bonding securely to minute particles of metal called ions.
In addition to directly supporting vital body functions, this bonding
process---called chelation---provides a means of trapping harmful
metals in your bloodstream and making them susceptible to safe
excretion in urine. The process of chelation, called chelation
therapy, is commonly used in the treatment of heavy metal
Chelation therapy for acute inorganic mercury poisoning can be done
with DMSA, 2,3-dimercapto-1-propanesulfonic acid (DMPS), D-
penicillamine (DPCN), or dimercaprol (BAL). Only DMSA is FDA-
approved for use in children for treating mercury poisoning.
side effects of EDTA use that include burning at the site of
intravenous treatment and allergic reactions to the chelating agent.
In some cases, you may also experience serious side effects such
as nausea, headaches, low blood sugar, low blood calcium, irregular
heartbeat, seizures, organ damage and kidney failure. The Centers
for Disease Control and Prevention have also reported some
fatalities resulting from low calcium levels associated with chelation