Traditional ad campaigns abandoned audience they&apos;d engaged with their content . Now goal is to leverage existing audience and grow a base that can be tapped into for future.
The difference today isn’t the brand, it’s the consumer. Consumer expects to participate Social media isn’t just another platform to push a brand message
by interacting with each other, we created and demonstrated rules of the universe
sent out invites, gave them a hashtag, invited them to play
the acceptance of the invite is the metric
Fans didn’t have timeline, but they caught on
contender with M&Ms and Travelzoo
Creative must have a social component Think of brand story as participation not penetration
STORY CAN start in a comic book and end up in a video game.
content has to come out of DNA of brand. Characters and storylines must embody brand values
At a time when many brands are stuck in experimentation mode in SM, Pepsi is redirecting it&apos;s budget to SM. A social marketing-centered program called Refresh Everywthing will direct $20 m to charities. Program bets on 4 big trends: crowdsourcing, doing good in the world, sharing and transparanecy.
At a time when many brands are stuck in experimentation mode in SM, Pepsi is redirecting it&apos;s budget to SM. A social marketing-centered program called Refresh Everything is directing $20 m to charities. Program bets on 4 big trends: crowdsourcing, doing good in the world, sharing and transparanecy. important to note that Pepsi isn&apos;t only doing SM. SM is the blue that holds together a wider push that includes traditional campaign elements like print and TV.
Rules Of Brand Fiction from @BettyDraper and @Roger_Sterling
We began to create opportunities for deeper
inviting others to become part of the fictional universe
enabling them to create stories of their own
fictional world was expanded by fan-invented
this added dimension to the universe
extending it beyond the life of the show.
We went on to play with the time-space continuum
“tweaser” timed for Season 3 premiere
• an hour before Season 3
• a twitter event titled “Mad
• story: Mad Men on Twitter
characters attend movie
premiere of “It’s a Mad,
Mad, Mad World” which
• inclusive concept designed to
accommodate all who
wanted to participate
the audience had as much fun as we did.
we ensured the event endured beyond the fleeting life
• deepens audience engagement with show
• builds new audience
• goodwill for brand
• keeps show alive between episodes, seasons
• provides deeper profiles of most ardent supporters (stats of
great interest to advertisers who no longer settle for age,
Mad Men on Twitter was first fan-based campaign
recognized for its branding power
1. content is king
• success depends on quality of creative
• appoint a dedicated brand fiction manager
• design a Brand Fiction Canon:
• highly detailed account of characters, settings, vernacular rising from
2. maintain continuity across platforms
• it’s not an alternate universe, it’s one universe.
3. be authentic—content must embody brand values
4. be relevant to your audience
• know your brand fans
• what distinguishes your story from others in their minds?
• consumer and programming insights enrich the experience
• the medium changes the message
8. campaign assessment or the
9. Don’t underestimate time/effort necessary for
“The high-complexity nature of Digital programs makes it the
most labor-intensive medium in the advertising industry.”
--A Marketer's Guide to Understanding the Economics of Digital Compared to
Traditional Advertising and Media Services
report published 3/09 by The 4A’s
10. Have fun
Lady Gaga brand fiction
by former creative writing student
to speculate further…
Helen Klein Ross