OpenStack Networking Service
• Networking as a first class service that can tie together
network “endpoints” from different services.
• Provide flexibility in networking implementations with
plug-ins that implement a generic network interface:
– Network segmentation/provisioning
– IP address management
– Business logic to determine what customers are
allowed to configure with networking.
• Network service only manages connectivity +
addressing, which are shared across services.
• Compute, Firewalls, Load Balancers, VPN, etc…
should be separate services, and would
consume the networking service.
• Why 1st-class service?
– Cloud is about orchestrating all kinds of services, not all will be
provided by compute VMs. Network must be able to tie
together all such services.
– Single integration point for networking logic, instead of having to do it
in each service.
• Why plug-in design?
– Want to incorporate “best-of-breed” networking solutions that solve
cloud networking challenges. Best solution may depend on provider.
– How and to what degree customers can manipulate networking will
depend on provider. Need customer-aware “business logic” to
manage things network creation, network associations, IP addresses.
Use Case Examples
• Private tenant network with VPN network
• Firewall service with interface on public
interface and interface on a private tenant
• Multi-tier web application, web VMs have two
interfaces, one on public, one on private
backend network with DB servers.
Generic Network API
Talks to Network Devices
(vSwitches, physical switches, etc.)
Talks to LB Nodes
Example Sequence with VMs
• create “logical network”
– Logical networks are created on top of a physical “provider
– Networks my be shared across tenants or private to a tenant,
• Attach VM interface to logical network
– VMs may have multiple interfaces.
– Other services (VPNs, physical hosts, firewalls can also be attached to
• Compute service would inform network service about what
compute node + port (e.g., tap0) corresponds to a VM interface
• Network service must orchestrate network (e.g., tag VLAN).
• This is a long-term project. Want to get
started during Bexar.
• Plan to create group of interested parties for
detailed designed discussions, coordinating
• First goal will be to implement existing
OpenStack nova networking functionality as