ORGANISATION OF HOSPITAL
Mrs. Rupinder Kaur
• It varies from hospital to hospital.
• The governing body of a hospital usually called
the board of trustees or directors is
responsible for the policies of the institution .
• Directly under the governing body is the head
of the hospital, the administrator or director
to whom authority and responsibility for
management is delegated.
• Administrator/ director
• Business professional
• It is delegated to different departments:
• Various clinical services:
• Medicine, surgery, gynaecology, obstetrics,
pediatrics, eye , ENT, dental, orthopaedics,
neurology, urology, cardiology, psychiatry,
skin, V.D, plastic surgery, nuclear medicine,
• Medical superintendent is a doc. Who has
control over all the medical departments.
• Nursing service and nursing education.
• Safe , comprehensive, effective, and well
organized care by Nursing Superintendents,
Assistant Nursing Superintendents, head
nurses, staff nurses.
• All these above are registered nurses.
• Others- Auxiliary personnel.
• To prepare professional nurses
• To uplift standards of nursing by in-service
• Principal, director of nursing education.
• Professors, tutors, clinical instructors.
• Pathology: responsible for making tests and
studies on blood, sputum, faeces, body fluids
and tissues. Laboratories:
• Bacteriology . Blood Bank
• Hematology . Histopathology
• For selecting , purchasing, compounding,
storing, and dispensing all drugs and
Physical medicine/ rehabilitation
• Treats pts who have functional disabilities.
• Physical therapy
• Occupational therapy
• Speech therapy
• Vocational training
• Radium, radioactive cobalt, and other
• Radioactive isotopes therapy
• Radioactive isotopes tracers or uptake studies.
• Food service according to need of patient and
Non professional services
• Admitting deptt
• Personnel deptt: - recruitment, Interviews,
promotion, termination, inservice training
prog., incentives , safety & health prog.,
• Purchasing deptt.
• Medical records
• Accounts office
• Housekeeping: to keep hospital clean
• Mechanical deptt : electricity, water air
• Maintenance deptt: carpenter, painter,
welders, gardeners etc.
• Central supply department: to furnish &
prepare other depts with supplies eg.
Syringes, needle, trays etc.
• Social service: assist to obtain financial aid for
patients. It is a link between patient &
• Pastoral care : meets the spiritual needs of the
• OT- part of surgical deptt.
• OPD- out patient Deptt.
• Emergency deptt.
• Intensive care
• Immediate care
• Ambulatory care, etc.