• Good industry litmus test, but has very strong regional influences
• Attendance about 21,000 total, about 5% down over 2018 … but up from 2016
• Canoes grew minimally:
– Canoes experienced 24% growth in 2017 in comparison to 2016
– Then they grew 26% in 2018 from 2017!
– 2019 is up 2% in comparison to 2018
• Kayak sales were down a few percentages each year for the past couple of years
- but fishing kayak sales are trending downward at that same rate.
• Recreational is recreational - stays the same.
• Touring seems to want to grow, Day touring is going down.
• SUP is dead.
5. Manufacturer Boat Sales - Paddlesports
The NPD Group: Market Research & Consumer Trends
Offers data, industry expertise, and prescriptive analytics to help you grow your
business in a changing world.
2018 Total = $360million
2017 Total = $317million
2018 Rec = $326million
2017 Rec = $291million
2018 Touring = $25million
2017 Touring = $21million
2018 Whitewater = $9million
2017 Whitewater = $5million
11. Improvement Opportunity with Large Retailers
Subject: another low cost kayak ad from Menards
About a week ago there was yet another flyer in the local newspaper from a non-
paddlesports retailer - big box store MENARDS advertising the VIPER - a 10'4" kayak
at the sale price of $149.00 after a $20.00 rebate with a $19.99 paddle! See attached.
Another perfect example of what we talked about. I wonder how much information the
Menard's clerks have to share with the buyers of this kayak.
Maybe there might even we a way to program the cash registers to print out on the
receipt the ACA website or something similar to inform buyers where they can go for
more info - especially safety. Most often now, when I go to a store, there is a "let us
know how we did" question, or a raffle to enter or a rebate, or whatever…..so why not
add some safety info when someone buys a kayak from Menards, Costco, Walmart,
I don't know the details on how the law was passed that each PFD has to have the little
brochure attached……cannot something similarly be done for kayaks/canoes/SUP’s?
Concerned Paddler from the Midwest
12. LJA getting Lifejackets on Paddlers
• Advocate for more lifejacket wear laws
• Hangtag card for PFDs
– through other associations, NSBC, SeaTow Foundation, WSIA,
– placed on boats at point of manufacture
– funnel to LJA website store