4. What is a System?
A system is a group of components joined
together to perform (i.e. do) one or more
function(s). Every computer system is made to
do four major things;
1. Accept data or information
2. Store the data or information
3. Process the data/ information
4. Produce result
A computer is a programmable machine
designed to sequentially and automatically carry
out a sequence of arithmetic or logical
operations. The particular sequence of
operations can be changed readily, allowing the
computer to solve more than one kind of
7. What is Computer System?
• A computer system can be defined as “ a
collection of components that are inter-
connected, each performing specific function
towards a common objective”.
• The components of a computer system are a
mix of software, hardware and peopleware
8. • Hardware
– the physical, tangible parts of a computer
– keyboard, monitor, disks, wires, chips, etc.
– programs and data
– a program is a series of instructions
• A computer requires both hardware and
software. Each is essentially useless without
11. Hardware Components: Peripheral Devices
Equipment added to computer to enhance its
The peripherals are in three categories; Input/
Output and Auxiliary storage Devices.
Modify and expand the basic computer system
• Examples of peripheral devices:
– Keyboard - Monitor
– Mouse - Printer
– Scanner - Digital Video Camera
– Graphic Tablet - Joy Stick etc.
13. What is Software?
Software is a set of computer instructions or data.
Software receives input from the user and
processes this input through the computer to
Software directs how the computer interacts with
Software specifies how to process the user's data.
14. Software System
• Two categories:
1. System Software
2. Application software.
Application Software (Application Package)
System Software (Operating System Software)
15. Operating system software
• Operating system software, also
called system software, is the master
controller for all activities that take
place within a computer
–Examples of OS software:
16. Application software
• Application software is a set of one
or more computer programs that
helps a personcarry out a task
–Examples of application software:
•Adobe Acrobat Reader
17. Human Ware
A computer system is more than just the
machine alone; it includes all the other things
that make the computer to function. The human
aspect of computer is called peopleware or
human ware. Computer cannot be treated in
isolation without the people that actually
operates it. Human ware are the people working
with the computer. It ranges from the
professional users like system analyst, engineer,
programmer to operational users such as data