• A leading UK company in maritime and IT niche sector
• Helps maritime companies, ships, large yachts and ports to
comply with regulations
• Associated consultancy services in ships, large yachts and ports
• 22 staff – including specialist Lawyer, Master Mariners,
Chartered Engineers, Technical Superintendents and PhD
qualified IT professionals
Key skill set
• 5 Master Mariners
• 2 Chartered Engineers; 1
specialist marine lawyer
• 13 First Degrees, 2 PhDs
• 260 years of collective
• 40 years collective experience
as government inspectors
• Lecturers in maritime law &
operations in UK, EC, USA and
• Accident Investigators &
• Certified Marine Auditors
• Profitable growth to £1.5 m
turnover within 8 years
• Consistent annual sales growth of
• ISO 9001 and 14001 (Quality and
System) certified by DNV
• Holders of a Document of
Compliance for the safety
management of large yachts
• Development of new training course to be run at Warsash for
Designated Persons ashore in compliance with new IMO
• Development of bespoke risk management software to assess
collision risks around offshore energy installations
• Consultancy and training for “HSEQ Excellence” for
Wilhelmsen Ship Management
• Consultancy and partial SMS rewrite for Meridian Marine
Most recent projects
• Regs4ships provide digital maritime
regulations to the maritime industry as
a subscription service
• The product is supplied on disc as well
as the Internet in order to provide
guidance onboard and ashore.
• Our aim is for our customers to be
confident when being inspected against
International Standards that their ships
and operations fully comply.
• Our subscription service includes a
monthly email advising of changes to
regulations, marine notices, IMO, EC or
ILO material and best practice.
• Discs are sent to subscribers every two
Product Features Matrix
• Digital maritime regulations fulfil Flag State regulatory carriage
• Approved by the Flag States for use on ships instead of paper regulations
– saves administering paper records
• Flag coverage now extends to 60% of world fleet
• System provides an integrated, searchable up-to-date information
resource which identifies connections between regulatory documents.
• Validates Flag State regulations against International Conventions – a
great help during Port State Control Inspections
Constant exchange of
CDP is a web based application that provides a
collaborative working environment using share point
• The normal communication between a ship and the office consists of two-
way streams of emails which require careful cataloguing and filing.
• CDP takes those emails out of the equation:
• Ship files and operative documents are stored on the ship site
• Companies files are stored on the office site
• The two sites are synchronised once a day – the files modified/added
on the office site are replicated on the relevant ship site and vice-
• This application stops the typical document control problems. No more
misfiled or unfiled documents, failure to forward a document, version
control issues with duplicates or unauthorised documents
Ship and large
Regs4ships' experienced mariners can help and advise
shipowners and managers on most aspects of ship operation.
Recent tasks include:
• Advising a major oilfield service provider on establishing
local offshore support vessel services in Africa
• Project managing change of flag state registration for a fleet
• Helping a large ship operator to upgrade and digitise their
Safety Management System
Regs4ships can provide a range of technical services such as:
• Safety Management Systems: in-depth experience of writing International
Safety Management (ISM) Code Safety Management Systems for ships
and large yachts
• Security: Regs4ships can write your International Ship and Port Facility
Security (ISPS) Code Manuals and produce your ISPS Ship Security Plan
• Flag State Surveys and Inspections: Regs4ships are recognised by a
number of Flag States to undertake Flag State Surveys or Inspections on
• Large Yacht Consultancy: our large yacht consultancy regs4yachts consists
of some of the leading figures in large yacht safety and regulatory
compliance, we have unparalleled experience in large yacht safety
Regs4ships can rapidly undertake quick, objective and comprehensive audits
• Navigational audits: the state of ship navigational equipment, systems, documents
and publications, as well as the crews ability to use it – including Bridge Team
Management and bridge operational procedures;
• Technical audits: the technical condition, maintenance practices, technical
organisation and logistical resilience of ship's machinery and equipment.
• Management Audits: the management of ships and shore-side offices including
management responsibilities, job descriptions, qualifications and CPD
requirements, procedures and checklists, reporting procedures and record
• Safety Audits: the state of ship safety equipment, it’s certification, test status and
the ability and qualification of the crew to use it.
We deliver training courses to a wide selection of the marine industry.
• Warsash Maritime Academy - ISM, Auditing, ISPS, DPA, Business
and Law courses
• Shipping companies such as Wilhelmsen, Sealion, Saga–ISM
familiarisation to the company’s own procedures
• Liberian Shipping Registry – ISM and ISPS Training to Liberian
Regulations for Ship Inspectors
• Port of London Authority and Associated British Ports covering
incident investigations in Ports
Our expertise in assisting
Harbour Authorities originated
in our Marine Enforcement
•Advice on Port Marine Safety Code
including compliance audits
•Undertake complete and
comprehensive Harbour Authority
Strategic and Operational Reviews
•Extensive port captaincy, port
management and shipping agency
•Designated Person for ports of
Hamble, Portland & Hayle
•Supports ING to manage the port of
Assisting the ports industry for 8
Captain Mark G Capon.
Master Mariner, LLB - Managing Director
• Mark served 16 years at sea on a wide variety of ships
culminating in 6 years as a Captain of an AHTS vessel
supporting the North Sea oil and gas industry.
• Following his seagoing career, he qualified as a solicitor,
spent 2 years with a London Shipping Law firm.
• Mark subsequently joined the Maritime and Coastguard
Agency (MCA) for over 6 years as a Surveyor of Ships, a
Port State Control Inspector and an Examiner of Master
and Mates. He formed their first Enforcement Unit and
became the Principal Enforcement Officer and
• He is an expert in Merchant Shipping Law and Port
legislation and enjoys applying that knowledge in a
practical, no nonsense way. He provides specialist
assistance to wide range of customers in the port,
shipping and yacht industries.
• He supplies Designated Person services to a wide range
of ports, has been appointed as a consultant Harbour
Master and has assisted in reformulating the
governance of Harbour Authorities.
• Mark provides the strategic management for regs4ships
C.Eng, EUR Ing, BSc. FIMarEST – Consultancy Director
• Nick progressed from a seagoing Chief Engineer to
Superintendent of a fleet of Chemical tankers and
thence to the MCA and Cayman Islands Shipping
Registry during a career spanning 35 years.
• He was at the MCA for 9 years as a Surveyor and
Examiner, was in charge of the Falmouth office; and
latterly an expert in Dangerous Goods and MARPOL.
He was Chair of, and sat on, several IMO
committees and qualified as an auditor and
conducted many ISM, ISPS, ISO and flag state audits.
• Nick then joined the Cayman Islands Shipping
Registry as the Chief Surveyor and after 3 years was
made Director of Survey and Safety based in the
Cayman Islands. He led the growth of the CISR,
particularly into super yachts, of which Nick is a
world renowned technical expert.
Captain Mick Caulkin.
Master Mariner, BSc. MNI - Commercial Director
• Mick leads with the delivery of the existing training
courses and the development of new training
partnerships. Regs4ships has developed a particularly
strong relationship with Warsash Maritime Academy
where Mick delivers a wide range of specialist training.
• Served at sea for 14 years on passenger ships, tankers
and bulk carriers, latterly as Captain. He graduated in
Shipping Law and Operations and worked in shore
management in New Zealand and Australia
• Responsibilities whilst overseas included shipping and
agency operations and profit centre management for a
container shipping company. He returned to the UK
after 7 years abroad and worked for the MCA for over 6
years as a Surveyor of ships, Port State Control
Inspector, ISM Audit, Examiner of Masters and Mate,
• Within regs4ships Mick has developed the ISM, ISPS and
ISO Systems, acted as DPA and CSO and assisted many
customers with their systems. His expertise has been
recognised and he commenced writing publications to
share his knowledge across the industry.
Captain Richard Eastham.
Master Mariner, BSc. MNI – Technical Director
• Richard has been responsible for the technical
development of the regulations database into a
unique and world leading resource. In addition he
has led his team with many complex solutions for
shipping customers involving content and
document management software and e-mail
• He has over 30 years experience in the marine
industry. After 13 years at sea, latterly on
passenger ships as Chief Officer he was appointed
Port Captain with responsibility for project cargoes.
• Richard spent six years with the Maritime and
Coastguard Agency as a Surveyor of Ships, Port
State Control Inspector, ISM Auditor and Examiner
of Masters and Mates.
• During his time at the MCA he became an ISM and
Audit specialist including Lead Surveyor experience
on cruise ships, superyachts and specialist research
• Richard is a twice past Chairman of the Solent
branch of the Nautical Institute and is heavily
involved in NI activities.
C.Eng, BSc (Eng), MIMarEST; Head of Business Development
• Graduated from Kings College London and served in the Royal Navy for 17 years as a marine engineer officer.
• Surveyor, PSC Inspector and Examiner of Engineers in the UK Dept. of Transport
• Principal Marine Surveyor in charge of the Bermuda Registry of Shipping.
• UK Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) as Chief Surveyor of Ship Construction then Deputy Director; Business
Development during which led an IMO mission to Sierra Leone to improve Port State Control capability
• Project Director of the International Formal Safety Assessment Project to improve the safety of bulk carriers.
• Leader of MCA and industry working groups to revise safety codes for fishing vessels; small passenger and workboats; and
take in-house the management of the UK Civil Hydrography Programme.
• Former Governor of the World Maritime University; and Chair of committees including those for UK Safety of Navigation,
Shipping Hydrography, Domestic Passenger Ship Safety, Port Marine Safety Code and High Speed Craft Advisory Group.
• Seconded in 2003 to the UK Foreign Office to serve in Iraq as Coalition Provisional Authority Envoy to Thi Qar Province.
• Final post in the MCA as Registrar General of Shipping and Seamen for the UK Ship Register at a time when the register
grew by 28% in two years.
Dr Charles Kerr.
B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D. Senior IT Project Officer
• Charles joined regs4ships in July 2008 as a systems
developer for the company's customised product team.
He brings with him over 15 years of IT systems
administration and development.
• Charles obtained his doctorate from the University of
Southampton where his research focused on novel
techniques for integrating satellite imagery and
airborne geophysical data as an aid for gold exploration.
After working as a geophysics field technician for a site
investigation consultancy, Charles spent 3 years working
for the Natural Environment Research Council's
Equipment Pool for Field Spectroscopy, developing
custom software data processing tools and web-based
• From there he took up an IT support position at the
School of Geography, University of Southampton,
where, for 10 years, he was responsible for developing
and maintaining the School's IT infrastructure. Charles
gained extensive knowledge of implementing IT projects
from the planning and testing phase through to
deployment and user support. He was closely involved
in the rollout of the School's Microsoft SharePoint
service, a product which forms the basis of many of
regs4ships' customised solutions.
Dr Jim Milne
B.A., Ph.D. Senior IT Project Officer
• Jim joined regs4ships in July 2008 after a long career
in higher education, having initially taught
Geography at the University of Newcastle (1978-
1983) and then serving in an IT support role in the
School of Geography at the University of
Southampton since 1986. Between these posts he
worked as Executive Assistant in the Directorate of
the Microelectronics Education Programme, which
underpinned the introduction of microcomputers in
• Jim has extensive experience in providing IT
support, database applications, managing computer
networks and software development for various
platforms. Most recently he has been responsible
for the design and maintenance of significant
SharePoint applications at the University of
Southampton. He is also experienced in topographic
surveying and laser scanning.
• Jim's primary role at regs4ships is to develop
custom SharePoint applications for the company's
maritime clients and support the provision of
regulations to the shipping industry.