Contrary to popular belief, google’s algorithm doesn’t start with sites and penalize until 10 are left.
When one site gets penalizes, another benefits
Forget about chasing algorithms. Google makes hundreds of changes each month and being reactive is a losing effort. Instead, be proactive.
It’s playoff time – which for those unfamiliar is what teams outside of Toronto do after the regular season. There’s a great quote from waynegretzky where he says.
But the same thing applies to SEO and Google.
When people search they’re usually trying to accomplish a task. Google wants to reward sites that can help them do that. The quicker and easier, the better. All the links in the world won’t matter if users don’t find your site useful.
Search for ‘pad thai’ – I’m going to click the result with the picture and the star ratings.
1. @RyanJonesManager of SearchSapientNitrowww.RyanMJones.com @RyanJones
2. The Google Penalty AlgorithmRecent Google “Penalties:”• Farmer• Panda• Ads Above Fold• Link Networks• Parked Domains• Un-Natural Links• Over Optimization• Webspam Google makes over 350 changes to their algorithm EACH YEAR!RT @RyanJones It’s time we stop thinking about algorithmupdates as “penalties” and ask how we can benefit from them. @RyanJones
3. Good SEOs get hit by Algorithm Changes. Note: this is one of my personal spammy sitesGreat SEOs benefit from them. Algorithm ChangeRT @RyanJones Good SEOs get hit by Google algorithmchanges. Great SEOs benefit from them. @RyanJones
4. Algorithm Chasing is NOT Sustainable.RT @RyanJones Sustainable SEO is about chasing visitors,not algorithms @RyanJones
5. “A good hockey player plays where thepuck is. A great hockey player plays wherethe puck is going to be.” - The Great One @RyanJones
6. “A good SEO optimizes where Google is. Agreat SEO optimizes where Google is goingto be.” - @RyanJones @RyanJones
7. Stop Chasing The AlgorithmAlgorithm Chasing is NOT Sustainable.Start Chasing Results InsteadRT @RyanJones: “Make your decisions based on visitors &KPIs, NOT algorithm changes.” @RyanJones
8. You’re Doing It Wrong RT @RyanJones: Instead of asking ‘how can I rank for this keyword’ ask ‘what does a searcher expect?’ then build it @RyanJones
9. Start Thinking Like Google• As SEOs, we are the 1%• Most Google searchers have never heard of link wheels, Panda, paid links, cloaking, or over optimization penalties @RyanJones
10. This is how the 99% SearchRT @RyanJones Your cat’s staring at your twitchy eye. Yourwinking is creeping him out. Oh, and buy better dog food. @RyanJones
11. “The Future of Search Is Verbs” - Bill Gates Searchers want to accomplish a task. Google rewards sites that help searchers do something.RT @RyanJones It doesn’t matter how many links you have ifyour site is crap. @RyanJones
12. “Dude, you’re full of shit. You soundlike a Google PR person. I have great content and my site doesn’t rank. - Some drunk guy at the hotel bar tonight @RyanJones
13. Differentiate & Add Value HOW? Be that Vital result • Freshness • Better User Experience If people don’t find your site • Better Content when they search, they • Most Popular should think that search is broken. • Schema.org • Rel=author • Unique ContentRT @RyanJones In order to be irreplaceable one must alwaysbe different. – Coco Chanel @RyanJones
14. Thank You. @RyanJonesManager Search Strategy & AnalyticsSapientNitrowww.RyanMJones.comP.S. I’m Hiring in TOR, CHI, DETSend Me a Resume: email@example.com @RyanJones