2. The Google Penalty Algorithm
Recent Google “Penalties:”
• Ads Above Fold
• Link Networks
• Parked Domains
• Un-Natural Links
• Over Optimization
• Webspam Google makes over 350 changes to
their algorithm EACH YEAR!
RT @RyanJones It’s time we stop thinking about algorithm
updates as “penalties” and ask how we can benefit from them.
3. Good SEOs get hit by Algorithm Changes.
Note: this is one of my personal spammy sites
Great SEOs benefit from them.
RT @RyanJones Good SEOs get hit by Google algorithm
changes. Great SEOs benefit from them.
4. Algorithm Chasing is NOT Sustainable.
RT @RyanJones Sustainable SEO is about chasing visitors,
5. “A good hockey player plays where the
puck is. A great hockey player plays where
the puck is going to be.”
- The Great One
6. “A good SEO optimizes where Google is. A
great SEO optimizes where Google is going
7. Stop Chasing The Algorithm
Algorithm Chasing is NOT Sustainable.
Start Chasing Results Instead
RT @RyanJones: “Make your decisions based on visitors &
KPIs, NOT algorithm changes.”
8. You’re Doing It Wrong
RT @RyanJones: Instead of asking ‘how can I rank for this
keyword’ ask ‘what does a searcher expect?’ then build it
9. Start Thinking Like Google
• As SEOs, we are the 1%
• Most Google searchers have never heard of link wheels,
Panda, paid links, cloaking, or over optimization penalties
10. This is how the 99% Search
RT @RyanJones Your cat’s staring at your twitchy eye. Your
winking is creeping him out. Oh, and buy better dog food.
11. “The Future of Search Is Verbs”
- Bill Gates
Searchers want to accomplish a task. Google rewards sites that
help searchers do something.
RT @RyanJones It doesn’t matter how many links you have if
your site is crap. @RyanJones
12. “Dude, you’re full of shit. You sound
like a Google PR person. I have great
content and my site doesn’t rank.
- Some drunk guy at the hotel bar tonight
13. Differentiate & Add Value
HOW? Be that Vital result
• Better User Experience If people don’t find your site
• Better Content when they search, they
• Most Popular should think that search is
• Unique Content
RT @RyanJones In order to be irreplaceable one must always
be different. – Coco Chanel
14. Thank You.
Manager Search Strategy & Analytics
P.S. I’m Hiring in TOR, CHI, DET
Send Me a Resume: email@example.com
Contrary to popular belief, google’s algorithm doesn’t start with sites and penalize until 10 are left.
When one site gets penalizes, another benefits
Forget about chasing algorithms. Google makes hundreds of changes each month and being reactive is a losing effort. Instead, be proactive.
It’s playoff time – which for those unfamiliar is what teams outside of Toronto do after the regular season. There’s a great quote from waynegretzky where he says.
But the same thing applies to SEO and Google.
When people search they’re usually trying to accomplish a task. Google wants to reward sites that can help them do that. The quicker and easier, the better. All the links in the world won’t matter if users don’t find your site useful.
Search for ‘pad thai’ – I’m going to click the result with the picture and the star ratings.