““HOW TO HAIKU”HOW TO HAIKU”
COLLABORATIVE TOOLSCOLLABORATIVE TOOLS
Common Core Boot CampCommon Core Boot Camp
Summer 2013Summer 2013
Presented by MarilynPresented by Marilyn
Purpose of PresentationPurpose of Presentation
• Commit to collaborateCommit to collaborate
• Communicate in “real time”Communicate in “real time”
• Customize wonderful wikisCustomize wonderful wikis
• Collect videos to deliver content onlineCollect videos to deliver content online
• Capture the wizardry of widgetsCapture the wizardry of widgets
• Connect assessments to contentConnect assessments to content
BLENDED LEARNINGBLENDED LEARNING
One of the biggest shifts in aOne of the biggest shifts in a
blended-learning environment isblended-learning environment is
that students will be engaged inthat students will be engaged in
different activities and workingdifferent activities and working
on different concepts and skills.on different concepts and skills.
Teachers facilitate learning in thisTeachers facilitate learning in this
environment and create a cultureenvironment and create a culture
that sets high academicthat sets high academic
expectations and encouragesexpectations and encourages
students to do their own learning.students to do their own learning.
Collaborative tools support thisCollaborative tools support this
What is a Wiki?What is a Wiki?
Wikis enable teachers
and students to create
an online environment
of resources including
text, video, widgets,
Where’s my wiki?Where’s my wiki?
• Haiku allows both teachers and students toHaiku allows both teachers and students to
easily create their own wikis with personalizedeasily create their own wikis with personalized
and specialized content.and specialized content.
Hawaiian bus service
is not the wiki we are
WIKI PROJECTSWIKI PROJECTS
• Wiki projects are a tool for students toWiki projects are a tool for students to
collaborate and share content they havecollaborate and share content they have
• Wiki projects can also be used by you asWiki projects can also be used by you as
the teacher to share activities, forums andthe teacher to share activities, forums and
How to Create a Haiku WikiHow to Create a Haiku Wiki
• Click on ConnectClick on Connect
• Click on Wiki ProjectClick on Wiki Project
• Click on Add Wiki ProjectClick on Add Wiki Project
• Create Project TitleCreate Project Title
• Type description of ProjectType description of Project
• Click on class project, group project orClick on class project, group project or
individual projectindividual project
HOW TO CREATE A WIKIHOW TO CREATE A WIKI
• Click ConnectClick Connect
• Click Wiki ProjectsClick Wiki Projects
Click connect and then, click wiki
projects. Click on Add Wiki project to
create a web space that can be used to
hold video, images, text, etc. Student
can collaborate in one wiki or interact
with one another in individual wikis
Create a title for the
wiki and type a
description of the
project. A personal
project sets up
individual wikis for
each student that
can be viewed and/or
commented on by
Choose a due
date for your
and choose a
page from the
list of web
Career WikisCareer Wikis
My students at Briones each created a wiki toMy students at Briones each created a wiki to
explore a career path that interested them.explore a career path that interested them.
They also prepared for a job interview andThey also prepared for a job interview and
included the essential components, such as aincluded the essential components, such as a
resume, cover letter, job application,resume, cover letter, job application,
recommendation letter and transition plan.recommendation letter and transition plan.
My students also created a presentation on theirMy students also created a presentation on their
career goals that was shared during an interview.career goals that was shared during an interview.
and hopes for
Delivering ContentDelivering Content
• TheThe Power pointPower point,, PreziPrezi,, Rocket SlideRocket Slide oror GoogleGoogle
presentationspresentations are effective tools to deliverare effective tools to deliver
academic content efficiently in an onlineacademic content efficiently in an online
How to Embed a Power PointHow to Embed a Power Point
• Save each power point slide as a jpeg to a folderSave each power point slide as a jpeg to a folder
on your desktop or flash driveon your desktop or flash drive
• Click on “Add a content box”Click on “Add a content box”
• Create a title for your blockCreate a title for your block
• Click imagesClick images
• Click “First image on page with slideshow”Click “First image on page with slideshow”
• Click and drop each individual slideClick and drop each individual slide
• The power point is now a slick slideshow!The power point is now a slick slideshow!
Click on the
arrow below to
What’s a widget?What’s a widget?
A web widget is a small helpful softwareA web widget is a small helpful software
program embedded directly into a web page.program embedded directly into a web page.
Web widgets themselves are designed to giveWeb widgets themselves are designed to give
extra power and control to the user. In manyextra power and control to the user. In many
cases, the page users have the authority tocases, the page users have the authority to
choose and place web widgets where they want.choose and place web widgets where they want.
Many people who discover web widgets becomeMany people who discover web widgets become
big fans, and will create entire web pages filledbig fans, and will create entire web pages filled
with widgets.with widgets.
Embed the Web (Add a widget)Embed the Web (Add a widget)
• Click on “add content box”Click on “add content box”
• Select “Embed the web”Select “Embed the web”
• Choose from a list of widgetsChoose from a list of widgets
Haiku has a list of widgets, such as YouHaiku has a list of widgets, such as You
tube for education, Reddit, Glogster, etc.tube for education, Reddit, Glogster, etc.
How to Create a DiscussionHow to Create a Discussion
• ClickClick ConnectConnect
• ClickClick Add DiscussionAdd Discussion
• Create a Discussion TitleCreate a Discussion Title
• Select dates for the time the discussion forum is open.Select dates for the time the discussion forum is open.
• ClickClick grade book entrygrade book entry only if the discussiononly if the discussion
participation will be graded and appear in the gradeparticipation will be graded and appear in the grade
• Choose the page the discussion will appear.Choose the page the discussion will appear.
Click Connect to create a discussion
forum. Students can post a thread and
respond to the comments of others.
Create a discussion title and choose the
type of discussion. A group discussion
includes all members of the class.
Click on anytime
if discussion is
select dates to
limit the time the
forum is open.
Click create a
grade book entry
only if you want
the grade in the
Choose the page
How to Embed a VideoHow to Embed a Video
• On the web, go to You TubeOn the web, go to You Tube
• Click on ShareClick on Share
• Copy LinkCopy Link
• On Haiku, go to Add Content BlockOn Haiku, go to Add Content Block
• Pick You Tube formatPick You Tube format
• Paste Link in Dialog BoxPaste Link in Dialog Box
Creating AssessmentsCreating Assessments
• Click on AssessClick on Assess
• Click on Add AssessmentClick on Add Assessment
• Click on ExamClick on Exam
• Create Exam TitleCreate Exam Title
• Click on Add to Grade bookClick on Add to Grade book
• Click FinishClick Finish
• Click Add QuestionClick Add Question
• Select type of question (multiple choice, etc)Select type of question (multiple choice, etc)
• Type question and answersType question and answers
• Click on correct answerClick on correct answer
• Click FinishClick Finish
• Click publishClick publish
Find the Embed CodeFind the Embed Code
• Open your Google calendar.Open your Google calendar.
• In the calendar list on the left, click the down-arrowIn the calendar list on the left, click the down-arrow
next to the calendar you want to embed, andnext to the calendar you want to embed, and
select select Calendar settingsCalendar settings. (Alternatively, click. (Alternatively, click
the the Settings Settings link at the bottom of the calendar list, thenlink at the bottom of the calendar list, then
click the name of the calendar.)click the name of the calendar.)
• Copy the iframe code displayed in the Copy the iframe code displayed in the Embed ThisEmbed This
CalendarCalendar section. section.
• Paste this code into your website to embed yourPaste this code into your website to embed your
ADD A GOOGLE CALENDARADD A GOOGLE CALENDAR
• Once you have the embed code fromOnce you have the embed code from
your your Google Calendar:Google Calendar:
• 1) On the 1) On the PagesPages tab, click on the button tab, click on the button
labeledlabeled Add Content Block. Add Content Block.
• 2) Click on 2) Click on Embed the WebEmbed the Web
• 3) Paste the embed code into the text box at the3) Paste the embed code into the text box at the
top of the window and click on top of the window and click on NextNext
• 4) Give the block a title and click on 4) Give the block a title and click on SaveSave..
√√ Shared Haiku collaborative toolsShared Haiku collaborative tools
Thank you for your kind attention.Thank you for your kind attention.
This information is available as a class calledThis information is available as a class called
“Haiku Collaborative Tools” in your portal“Haiku Collaborative Tools” in your portal
when you log-in to your district g-mail account.when you log-in to your district g-mail account.