On October 23rd, 2014, we updated our
By continuing to use LinkedIn’s SlideShare service, you agree to the revised terms, so please take a few minutes to review them.
Upon completion of this lecture you will understand:
• Need of Computer Literacy
• What is a Computer?
• Its advantages over the manual system.
• Components of a computer system.
Need For Computer Literacy
In most places of business, a computer is standard.
• Bank - to look up account information.
• Library - card catalog — to use a computerized database.
• Doctors' offices - to store patient information.
• It will help in getting a job and it will help you advance in your career.
• Computer literacy does not mean you need to know how to use every
single piece of software.
• It does not mean you need to know how to write programs or
network of computers.
• You just need to know some basics — how to save and open a file,
how to use a word processing program, and how to send and receive
• Having some sort of level of comfort around computers rather than a
look of fear.
Application of Computer
Today computer is used almost in every field.
For example. It is used in
and many more……..
What is Computer?
A computer is programmable electronic device which inputs
data, processes it, giving information according to the
Data is marks of 60 students.
Process to find highest scorer.
Information is the name of topper.
Components of Computer
What is the difference between the computer and
Computer refers to the actual physical electronic device. Whereas the
computer system includes following:
• Hardware – any physical component which we
• Software – data contained in the hardware,
similar to songs in audio cassette .
• Live ware (user) – the computer operator
We can classify the computer hardware as:
• Input Devices – those devices which are used for entering
data to the computer. Example: Keyboard, Mouse, Scanner, Web
• Output Devices – those devices on which we obtain
information out from the computer. Example: Monitor, Printer.
• Central Processing Unit – central unit which does all the
processing, accepts data from input device and send processed
data to the output device.
T Memory (RAM) U
Have you seen CPU? If so how it looks like?
Ans: It looks like BOX
You are talking about cabinet, which includes following:
Floppy Disk Drive
Hard Disk Drive
Power Supply Unit
Types of Computer Software
Computer software can be categorized into following two
1. System Software: includes those software that help in better
utilization hardware resources.
Example Operating System, Compiler, Disk Drivers etc.
2. Application Software: includes those software that helps in
performing a particular task such as creating a document, preparing
a presentation. These are general purpose software's.
Example: Ms-Word, Excel, Power Point, etc.
3. Utility Software: includes those software that generally comes
along with operating system used to perform basic activities.
Example: Disk Format Utility, Disk Defragmenter Utility, etc.
4. Customized Software : includes software which are specially
designed for a particular group of users.
Example: Software for a bank, hospital, business organization, etc.