- Direct personal communication!
- Listening consumers!
- Reputation management!
- Testing new offers/solutions !
- Source for other media!
Learn to communicate!
- Create opportunities for your website visitors to communicate
with you; start a blog- this will beneﬁt the hotelʼs SEO as well.!
- Online video describes the hotel and its location better than any
textual content. ! .
- Create unique product offerings and provide unique value
- Reputation management: todayʼs hyperactive Internet user is
tweeting, texting, emailing, communicating with friends via
Facebook, is commenting, often in real-time, on restaurants and
hotels via review sites. !
“ The new sheraton.com reﬂects how
people communicate and stay
connected today ”
Hoyt H. Harper, senior vice
president for Sheraton
- Travelers use the internet to make travel plans, the reviews they
read from other guests inﬂuence their buying decision.
- Reputation management begins by listening to what people are
saying about you online. !
- Google Alerts !
- Monitor all important terms: your hotel name, any old hotel names,
your restaurants. Review sites such as TripAdvisor. !
- Develop your response policy ahead of time.!
- Effective online reputation management is all about proactively
building a positive buzz.
Why social media?!
Why social media?!
- quick and easy start!
- low costs!
- immediate feedback!
- presence in search engines!
- we are where our consumers are!
- content marketing !
! ! content-reputation-expert-sales !
! ! advertising blocked!
8 social media stats we can use!
1. Social media is used more often than personal email (Nielson
2. 77% of all active internet users regularly read blogs (Universal
3. Organizations that blog get 97% more inbound links to their
website, and 55% more website visitors (Hubspot research) !
4. 80% of companies use LinkedIn as their primary tool to ﬁnd
5. The average Facebook user spends 55 minutes per day on the
6. Typical person on Facebook has 120 friends, but only
communicates regularly with 4-6 of these (Economist) !
7. Only 5% of Twitter users have more than 100 followers (Pear
8. 5% of users account for 75% of overall tweets (Pear Research) !
- Deﬁne social media goals. Is it education? sharing? community? !
- Present your social media presence as a way for people to connect,
not just receive your marketing messages.!
- Let your customers tell the story and build the brand. !
- Encourage guests to take and upload their own photos online. !
- Add photos of your hotelʼs design to the Hotel Design Blog. !
- Consider using multiple sites for each of the niche audiences youʼre
trying to reach. !
- Use destination blogs to attract corporate and leisure travel
- 90% purchasing decisions begin online (Forrester);!
- Social marketing initiatives: !
- generate buzz around the hotel, !
- engage customers, !
- provide a receptive audience, and !
- ultimately stimulate hotel website visits, interactions and
- People admire complexity, but reward simplicity.!
- MARKETING GOALS IN THE PAST!
- create brand awareness, !
- target mass media, !
- repeat your messages.!
- MARKETING NOW !
- create behavior change,!
- create conversation, !
- communicate directly. !
- No 1 failure in marketing plans:!
! ! ! ! no clear measures of success. !
- Decide what success means to you. It’s different for everyone. !
- Define and position yourself in the market strategically. !
- If you spend your resources like everyone else, youʼll get results
like everyone else. !
- Breakthrough campaigns require unusual approaches.
DONʼT MAKE PEOPLE COME TO YOU!
- put content where they already are online!
- use your content in many different formats!
! ! -blog posts!
! ! -email!
! ! -newsletters!
! ! -articles!
! ! -PDFs!
! ! -press releases!
! ! -case studies!
! ! -video!
! ! -social media updates.
- The Email usually has higher psychological value than other types
of online communication. !
- Email is an effective branding tool. Email drives action.!
- Always provide a strong beneﬁt. Exclusive discounts and preferred
service are more compelling. !
- Segment your list as much as possible to deliver relevant