More on Drupal
Theming this week
• Theming with Skinr! (Jacine Rodriguez) —
Right after this session, right here in this
• All your html are belong to us (Morten) —
Wednesday at 4:15pm.
• Sprint on Thursday — Free! Open! Friendly!
Grok means to understand so thoroughly
that the observer becomes a part of the
observed — to merge, blend, intermarry,
lose identity in group experience.
Robert A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land
<h1 id="title"> !"#$%&"'()*%+,-./01 </h1>
How Drupal displays content (templates)
How to start theming
Other things to consider
• You know HTML/xhtml • You don't know PHP
(but if you do, we won't
• You know CSS 2.1 hold it against you)
• You are at least getting • You understand some
to know CSS 3 (or want
to) architecture concepts
• Drupal theming confuses • You want to learn this
or mystifies you
Some PHP required
• Mainly to printthe page title).
e.g., $title (for
pre-defined variables …
• You can do a lot in the "preprocess" and
• You can avoidof you. totally scarescopy living
it if it
Just stick to
paste from '<?php' to '?>'.
Drupal 7 is more
complex than Drupal 6
...but it's also more simple
Anatomy of a Drupal "page"
• xhtml, CSS, images
• Content presented via
The Drupal theme
• CSS files
• Image files
• Template files
• Preprocess and process files new!
• .info file
Do I really need to
do RDFa to use
No, you can just ignore
it, and work on the same
level as other systems.
But you'll be missing
Points of Modification
• xhtml in the template that applies
Basics to Remember
• Create your theme in
• Copy templates into your theme to make
• Use template suggestions to break out
distinct structures and stylings
• Use base theme to get a jump on things
• Let Drupal do what it does best
Yeah yeah yeah, I know, you don't like command line, but this will really really and for true help you save time
developing so that you can spend more time designing and theming, and isn't that what you'd rather do anyway?
Video to make it easy:
http://is.gd/ a Ze 3 3