Transcript of "Accident investigation presentation by stuart would"
Accident Reporting and
H&S Officer name
• Why Investigate Accident / Incidents ??
– Because – Legal requirement
– Because – Moral and Ethical reasons
– Because – We don’t want it to happen again
– And – So we can Stop it happening again
• Definition of an Accident
An unplanned event that may or may not cause
personal injury / death or damage to the
environment, property, plant or machinery.
• Also applies to the so called ‘ Near miss ‘ It is
still a deviation from the normal and therefore
• How do you do an investigation ?
Same as the police, Colombo, Frost etc...
• Where necessary, barrier off the area and stop anyone
from entering. Look for clues / evidence, take photo’s.
• Collect statements from the injured person(s)
immediately, their information is crucial. Witnesses
straight after injured person, before if injured person(s)
• Why immediately ??
• Because they get whisked off to hospital AND
• You may not see them for weeks AND
• You may never see them again… ever AND
• May never get information that’s needed AND
• People change their stories
• Inform H&S Manager, there may be RIDDOR
Implications that need dealing with Immediately.
• Interview separately, any witnesses that SAW what
actually happened, get a signed and dated statement.
• Then what ??
• Complete an Investigation Report Form.
Its been designed to help you find out
what happened, why it happened and
what we are going to do to stop it
• Check the Risk Assessment.
• Why ?
• Risk asssments may have missed
something, many R/A’s may be affected.
• Give you a chance to review the
Assessment – Procedures – Work
Instructions – Training.
• Record the Immediate and Basic causes,
often called ‘ Root causes ‘.
• Record Actions to prevent re-occurrence,
could be a new guard,
replace tooling after so many hours,
a re-training issue.
• Ensure everyone tasked with an action knows
what needs to be done, when by and to report
back to you when the Action has been done.
• Inform H&S if person is off work the next day,
could be Riddor reportable.
• If the Risk Assessment needs to be changed,
ensure all concerned are informed and training
• Monitor the situation to ensure all actions
are having the required effects………
Please remember … occasionally..
corrective actions can make the situation
Your incident and investigation will beYour incident and investigation will be
discussed at the next safety meeting.discussed at the next safety meeting.