Starting & growing a drupal based business- 6 valuable lessons i have learnedPresentation Transcript
Starting & Growing a Drupal-based Business6 Valuable Lessons LearnedBy: Dave TerryDrupalcamp FloridaApril 20, 2013
Background● Entrepreneur● Lover of all things sales and marketing● Partner at Mediacurrent - 30+ person team● Primary organizer of DcATL, ADUG since 2008● Drupal/OSS evangelist
The MoreYou GiveThe More YouWill Get Back
ComplimentaryService ProvidersWedding ListhostingprovidersThe Drupal community
Listen to YourEmployees &Customers
Communication/feedbackis desirableJob security/peace of mindopenstrategy/visionChallenge/varietyis welcomedIs innovationfostered?Is my voicebeing heard?What havewe heard?Is Innovation fostered?Can I work on things I likedoing?Iron sharpens Iron
● Polled a cross-section of 12 customers (2013)● Independent feedback is key (unfiltered)● Perception is reality
Positioning anda Singular Focusare Critical
● 200+ Blog Posts● 35+ Industry Presentations● 4 Whitepapers / weekly webinars● 45 Drupal Events Organized● ADUG, Drupalcamp Atlanta, and● Atlanta Drupal Business Summit● Average Drupal Experience:5+ yearsDrupal Experts
● Primary organizer of the AtlantaDrupal Business Summit &Drupalcamp Atlanta● Over 600 Drupal enthusiasts fromacross the Nation● Largest Drupal event on East coastDrupal Experts
● Serves every kind of destination● Serves every kind of traveler● Offers every class of service● Operates every kind of aircraftUnprofitable for most of the past decadeand recently emerged from bankruptcy.● Serves only well-traveled destinations● Serves one kind of traveler (leisure)● Offers only one class of service● Operates only one kind of aircraftProfitable every year since they started inbusiness 20 years ago.
● Serves organizations that need Drupal● Singular focus on one CMS● Offer world-class customer service● Operates to constantly improveprocesses & contribute back to the open-source communityProfitable every year since we startedin business 6 years ago.● Serves only well-traveled destinations● Serves one kind of traveler (leisure)● Offers only one class of service● Operates only one kind of aircraftProfitable every year since they started inbusiness 20 years ago.