Effects on Broadcasting
Reduced market shares
Regulated vs non-regulated
Loss of control
➢ Business models
➢ Internet ”content” industry
➢ Consumer electronics manufacturers
What to do ?
Define requirements and seek adoption of a CE
standard for TV sets and STBs with both
DTV and Internet ports.
EBU HBB TV
● Provide enhanced broadcast services
with ”Out-of-band” enhancements
delivered through 2 channels
to ”converged” devices
● Offer a controlled user experience
● Leverage already deployed networks
● EBU HBB specification (ETSI, ...)
HBB for Radio ?
Provide enhanced broadcast-radio services
(FM, DAB, DRM, HD Radio) + Internet
- Now playing...
- Electronic program guide
- Dynamic text
- Content tagging
- Roaming: Internet from/to FM ?
- Software platforms (Apple, RIM, Nokia, ...)
- Application driven
- 50.000 iPhone applications in one year
Dozens of 3G Internet radio applications
Many FREE applications
- Independent developer and user innovation
- Trend towards open source (Android, Symbian,...)
- Verticalisation of platforms
less than 10 major mobile software platforms
- Mobile Application Stores (MAS)
Developers: upload / sell / upgrade
Users: download / buy / remove / upgrade
Where are the new broadcast Apps ?
Other Tagging Opportunities
- Music sales through various online stores
- Other revenue sharing models
- Open to non-iTunes content (emergent, long-tail,...)
- Tagging of talk radio
- Advertizing tagging
iPod Nano 5th
- FM Receiver with RDS
- FM Radio is ”cool”
- Younger generations exposed to FM
- Infrastructure in place (RDS?)
- New revenues : iTunes Tagging
- No general tagging: only iTunes
- Apple controls to ecosystem
- ”iTuneization” / ”Mainstreamization” of music
- Canadians will now see poor RDS offerings...
RDS in Ottawa, Sept. 2009
(as surveyed with iPod Nano)
RICH=6 BASIC=9 POOR=7 NOT RECEIVED=6
FM RDS on Mobile Devices
A Trend ?
Past: crippled devices (FM not activated)
Now: iPod Nano
Zune HD ?
Wikipedia lists over 50 devices ?
Tomorrow: Programmable devices ?
iPhone (FM + RDS + 3G + Wifi) ?
Others: Nokia, HTC, ... ?
- Central listings of radio stations
- Detailed stations info + more...
- CE devices and others
- Managed vs unmanaged
- Free vs licensed
Internet radio + DAB
+ FM + ...
Unique internet link
- Central lookup for registered radio stations
- Internet query based on RDS data
- nslookup -type=CNAME 09880.c201.ce1.fm.radiodns.org
- Internet replies with services available, ...
- Defining international governance
- Defining 3 applications: EPG, Tagging, VIS
- HBB Radio = new opportunity ?
- Hybrid = Out-of-band = more capacity
- Enhanced via Internet = non-regulated
- Democratisation of broadcast innovation ?
- ”Open” devices will be needed
Will FM+RDS be integrated into mobile devices ?
Will FM+RDS be usable via open API ?
- Participate in alignment / standardisation efforts ?
RadioDNS, IMDA, ...
- Need to enhance / harmonize RDS infrastructure ?
Hybrid FM + RDS + 3G: the new digital radio ?