Brooke LathamRE/MAX First ChoiceTechnology Manager
• Social media: forms of electronic communication (as Web Sites for social networking and microblogging) through which users create online communities to share information, ideas, personal messages and other content (as videos). –Meriam-Webster Dictionary• The purpose of social media is to create relationships with people online and at the same time help people who need your services find your product easier. If you post information that is relevant to them they will use your resources and recommend your product to their friends and family.• Why is social media so cool? IT’s FREE!
Use of Social Networking Sites for local business searches has increased 67% since 2010.Facebook proves to be the Social Networking Site most frequently used to find localbusiness information. Social Network Sites Used in 2011 100% 91% 90% In 2010, 93% cited using 80% Facebook. 47% used MySpace. 70% 60% 50% 40% 37% 30% 30% 25% 20% 14% 11% 10% 3% 0%
Where did Facebook begin? It began at HarvardUniversity as a way for students to know more abouteach other, by putting names with faces. It is now abillion dollar company that a majority of the universe isa part of.• Comscore found that 69% of people are more likely to do business with a company they found on Facebook.• In 2011, 15% of Facebook users searched for Businesses through Facebook. This number will increase drastically in the next five years.
2011 – 500 Million active The fastest growing users segment in social media There are 206.2 million 45-54 year olds internet users in the 54% of Facebook users U.S., that means 71.2% access via mobile of the U.S. audience is on Facebook. 48% of 18-34 yr olds check it when they wake up Source: www.digitalbuzzblog.com
WHEN YOU POST STATUSES, YOUR FOLLOWERS SEE IT, THEN IF THEYMAKE A COMMENT ON YOUR STATUS THEN THEIR FRIENDS WILL SEE IT… Post photos of events or Respond to any posts staff on your page Tag people in the Post your promotions photos you post Post videos from Ask people to like your YouTube page Post regularly: Tell people you are on Yearly Goals Facebook Marketing materials When & Where the Kidney Walk will be held Postcards E-mails Announce new team members or partnerships Letters
Post status updates twice a day, Let your followers know what the foundation is doing to help, or conferences that you attend. In the post statuses, tag who you are with. Once you tag someone in your status instantly all of their friends know that they were at an event supporting the Kidney Foundation. If they make a comment on it, then their friends will see that they commented and may be curious enough to visit your Facebook Page. Post status around Noon each day, this is when the increase in Facebook users begins. Post inspirational quotes or pictures FirstGiving website, encourage your participants to raise money using the Facebook share option.
FACEBOOK Go to: www.facebook.com Click on “Create a Page” located at the bottom Facebook Business Page of the screen. Administrator – find someone with will give you the Facebook knowledge and trustworthy. You can have multiple Administrators opportunity to name it: Fill out your entire Facebook Business Page profile: Keep it the name of Photo – this will show up on every post you enter your organization Address – this will show up in mapping in the event someone needs to find you Phone – if someone uses Facebook to find your organization they have your # Website Address – this gives them a quick link to your full website to gain further knowledge Hours of operation – great general information to have
• Niche Marketing – FB allows for Business pages to use their profile database for advertising. This helps you target the audience that you know will be best suited to support your organization.• Pay-per-click options make for this to be a very cost effective way of advertising online.• Once you create a Business Page you will find the Facebook Advertising under “Pages & Ads”
Twitter is a free social networking and micro-blogging service. There are more than 106 million Twitter accounts. The number of users on Twitter increases by 300k every DAY. Thursday & Friday are the most active days on Twitter 10 – 11PM are the most active hours of tweeting. 55% increase in users on Twitter. Source: www.digitalbuzzblog.com
• Twitter is one of the fastest growing segments of social media; it is a quick way to get information out to thousands.• It is based on micro-blogging, this is when you take a blog and create a shorten link to it and share it with followers. For example, firstchoicenews.blogger.com, that can be made shorter by using services such as: • Bitly.com would change it to: http://bit.ly/P6OcmC • Goo.gl would change it to: http://goo.gl/thk4y • Tinyurl.com would change it to: http://tinyurl.com/c5rbp9o• This allows for you to tweet in less than 140 characters, but send your follower to a webpage with information you want them to read.
• Set it up completely and then tell everyone that you have finally made it to Twitter. • Name: • Address: • Phone: • Website Address:• Add the Twitter Icon to your main WebSite page• Twitter will give you the Opportunity to name it: Keep it the name of your organization, the exact same one as for your Facebook Business Page
35 hours of video footage is uploaded to the site every MINUTE. Over 13 million hours of footage was uploaded in 2010. The base demographic is 18-54. Over 2 million videos are viewed every day YouTube mobile gets over 100 million views per day. Over 5 million people have found & Subscribed to a friend’s channel using YouTube’s friend-finding tools Source: http://www.reelseo.com/youtube-statistics/
• YouTube is the 2nd most searched engine in the world, the most searched is Google. Google acquired YouTube last year because it saw the potential in having more users visit Google.• YouTube allows you to create a channel that is specific to your organization.• You can post videos directly from your Smartphone.• You can post videos directly from your laptop or desktop computer.• You can assign a geographical location of the video.• Place tags on the video that will come up in searches on Google.
Set up your YouTube account Go to: youtube.com Click on “Create Account” Enter the same e-mail address you use for your business in order to stay consistent Fill out all of the information required by youtube Click “I accept. Create my Account”Creating your Branded Channel Login to your youtube.com Enter your Username (try to match this to your facebook & Twitter account) Enter the required information Click on “customize your channel” and follow the promptsSocialCam – a great app to use to upload photos to social media from yoursmartphone.
• Google Local AKA Places for Business. This is a new technology and business promoting tool that Google is using now. It gives you the capabilities to claim your business on Google and Google+.• 97% of consumers search for local businesses online. Be there when theyre looking for you with Google Places for business - a free local platform from Google.• Add photos, update your address and hours, or promote your business with Ads. Places for Business lets you make the most of your listing and show customers why theyll want to choose you.• Being on Google helps people find, share, rate, and recommend your business to their friends, and people across the web. Places for Business lets you see what people are saying, and respond to customer reviews.• Claim your “Place” by visiting: ww.google.com/placesforbusiness/
• This is the Google version of Facebook. It allows for you to place your friends, aquaintences, etc. into what Google calls circles. It is the same concept as Facebook, however, you can create hangouts of your friends and virtually talk with them through GoogleTalk.• Google+ for Business • Google+ pages help you build deeper relationships with customers by sharing your thoughts, links, photos and promotions with the right people at the right times. Want to offer a behind-the-scenes look at your product team in action? Highlight a unique sale? Get live, face-to-face feedback by holding multi-person video chats with customers all over the world? With Google+ Pages, you can share what matters in a way that matters most to your business. • To sign up go to: www.google.com/+/business • http://youtu.be/ozxfUtgySlo
Flickr – www.flickr.com –• Upload your photos once to Flickr, then easily and safely share them through Facebook, Twitter, email, blogs and more.• Is owned by Yahoo! and can help drive business to your web page from those who are not strictly on Google.• Can upload from a smartphone or from your laptop• You can tag people and places, and title the photos.Instagram – http://instagram.com• It’s a fast, beautiful and fun way to share your photos with friends and family.• Snap a picture,• choose a filter to transform its look and feel, then post to Instagram.• Share to Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr too – its as easy as pie.• Its photo sharing, reinvented.
LinkedIn is the world’s largest professional network with over 120 millionmembers and growing rapidly. LinkedIn connects you to your trustedcontacts and helps you exchange knowledge, ideas, and opportunities witha broader network of professionals.LinkedIN for Business• LinkedIN now offers Business Profiles, another way to drive social media.• Visit: http://learn.linkedin.com/company-pages/setup/ to learn how to set your company page.• Another avenue for those who are on the more professional side of social media.
One of the biggest problems with having so many social media outlets is howto manage it. There are different websites and apps that can help youmanage posting across the different social media outlets to help save youtime and get your message out as quickly as possible.You can use AutoPost Websites such as:Hootsuite – hootsuite.com Benefits: • Post to: Facebook, Twitter, WordPress, LinkedIN, Google+ Pages, FourSquare, Flickr, YouTube, Tumbler, etc. • You can schedule messages to go out at certain times, so you don’t have to always be sitting there posting status updates. You can create them ahead of time and set the dates and times you want them to be sent out. • You can also integrate this into e-mail systems such as MailChimp and ConstantContact. • It does have pricing plans and different packages • Mobile App for Android and iPhone
Posterous Spaces – posterous.com Benefits: • Recently acquired by Twitter – be aware that Twitter is growing at 300k users a day. • Facebook- Profiles and Pages, Twitter, LinkedIn, Blogger, Tumblr, WordPress (XML-RPC must be enabled), Flickr ,YouTube • It does have pricing plans and different packages • Mobile App for Android and iPhoneSeesmic Ping - Ping.fm Benefits: • Post to Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin, Tumblr (with more to come) • Post to multiple Twitter Accounts and Facebook Pages • Schedule your posts • Select Thumbnails for attached links • Post from iPhone, iPad and Android • Create and post Groups of accounts and so much more with even more to come! • Free to different tier pricing, with technical support option.
2015…the year of mobile!• 100.9 million smartphones vs. 92.1 million PCs were shipped in the fourth quarter of 2010.• 80% of visitors to your Web Site will leave if not mobile ready• 57% of them won’t recommend your Web Site to others• 23% of them will curse at your non-mobile websiteMake sure that your main Web Site is mobile friendly to Android, iPhoneand iPad.
1. Be there - setup your profiles and post.2. Be Engaging – post things that will keep your audience intrested3. Be Relevant – share information that is relevant to your business and their needs4. Be Accountable – always be accountable for the information you share• Add your social media icons to your Web Sites.• Make sure your Social Media Icons link to the correct place.• Tell everyone through your e-mail signatures, print advertising, Web Sites, etc. that you are on social media outlets. IF THEY DON’T KNOW THEY WON’T GO!• Use the Facebook Market to get noticed.• Make sure your Web Sites are mobile friendly.• Claim your business on Google, smartphones are using GPS to locate businesses easier• Post often, and have fun with it.