Dr. Charles Clement Home and Office It was built circa 1837 and located on Bank Street .
The Schlatre/Schwing/Middleton home was built on a Spanish land grant prior to 1842. This home was damaged by a cannon ball fired by Federal troops positioned on the Mississippi River.
Miss Louise's House (circa 1879) - Pictured are Brenda Bourgoyne Blanchard and granddaughter Angelle Ann Beuche.
Originally built in 1847 by Dr. Edward Scratchley, it served as a residence and Catholic school for the Sisters Marianite of Holy Cross from 1859 to 1976. It was purchased and renovated by Robert and Mariane Freeman in 1990.
Originally known as the “Church Street House”, it was built in 1850 by Jacques Greaud. Dr. Phillip S. Postell purchased the house at a sheriff’s sale for $3600. The steps on the right side of the house lead to the room that Dr. Postell used as a doctor’s office. The house has served many owners, and in 1998 it was the home of Luke and Brenda Fremin.
Gay’s Mansion Built by Edward J. Gay on the St. Louis Plantation (completed in 1858)
In 1998 the home of Mark A. “Tony” and Mary Sue Gulotta. It was built circa 1870. This massive structure was the former home of Dr. C. E. Blunk, Jr. and was once the Woodruff’s Funeral Home.
The Frederick Wilbert House on Court Street was constructed in 1887 and restored one hundred years later by Harry and Sue Hebert.
The Joseph E. Dunlap home located on Eden Street was built in 1894. It was the residence of Margaret Kinberger Dupont in 1998.
Clyde P. Harrell, Sr. Home on LaBauve Avenue Built in 1907 Clyde P. Harrell, Jr. is pictured. The home is currently owned by Mrs. Edwin F. (Mildred Landry) Kinberger, Jr. (1999)
The Andrew Gourier’s home, on Eden Street, was built in 1896. It is rumored that ghosts have been seen in this residence. In 1998 it was occupied by Reflection of Taste, Inc.
The House That Took a Ride on the River Dr. F. J. Kearny built this house in March of 1898 on Eden Street. In 1904 the house was rolled to the Mississippi River, placed on a barge and shipped to St. Louis to be exhibited at the St. Louis World’s Fair. After the fair closed, it was again placed on a barge and shipped back to Plaquemine. It later became the residence of Dr. Rhodes J. Spedale and his wife Zoe.
Peter Wilbert Home Located on Plaquemine Street (photo taken in 1906)
Dr. S. C. Levy Home, Located on LaBauve Avenue - Built in 1908, it is the residence of Michael & Lydia Barbee in 1999.
Judge Edward Blount Talbot was born in Plaquemine August 15, 1845. In 1880 he was elected District Attorney, and four years later he became District Judge. He served over 20 years as District Judge for the parishes of Iberville, Pointe Coupee and West Baton Rouge Parishes until he resigned to resume the practice of law. Judge Talbot died suddenly of a heart attack on Monday, April 25, 1910 and was buried in the Catholic cemetery.
Residence of Judge E. B. Talbot in Turnerville
Captain Charles A. Brusle lived an active life. When Louisiana withdrew from the Union following the Southern Cause, he was captain of the Iberville Grays, a company similar to the Marines. He was appointed to the office of tax collector by the late Governor F. T. Nicholas in 1880. When that office merged with the sheriff’s office, he was elected to the dual office. He held that office until 1892, at which time he refused to run again. At one time, he represented the parish as a member of the House of Representatives. He later became President of the Bank of Plaquemine and was also owner of the Iberville South. Captain Charles A. Brusle died at his residence on Eden St. on March 16, 1928 at the age of 93.
Residence of Chas. A. Brusle on Eden Street (1883)
Residence of Chas. A. Brusle Approximately 20 Years Later (circa 1903)
In 1935 the Chas. A. Brusle House was split, and the right side was bought by the U.S. Government to build a post office.
The U. S. Post Office From 1936 to 1968 Located on Eden Street
The Norbert Marionneaux Mansion was built right after the Civil War. It was located on Marshall Street between Plaquemine and Court Street.