History Of Pendleton, SC Time Line   &     Pictorial History Leadership Pendleton 2009 Class
Pendleton On the Frontier 1777 – 1800  Lowther Hall, oldest house still existing in Pendleton, built by Wm. Hunter.  First...
Pendleton: 1800-1830   The Upcounty Center of Culture, Trade and Commerce Many wealthly Charlestonians continued to built ...
Antebellum South Carolina Economy  <ul><li>Mid 1820’s  - End of Low Country’s golden age of rice due to competition of che...
Pendleton, SC First Summer Resort 1815 - 1830 John C. Calhoun sworn in as Andrew Jackson’s Vice President, resigned in 183...
Pendleton  ~ 1826 Largest Town in Pendleton District
Pendleton 1830 - 1848 Pendleton Baptist Church founded and church built, building replaced in 1951. 1842 Pendleton Methodi...
Pendleton 1848 - 1861 New Guard house (jail) and market house built on public square. 1860 Construction on Blue Ridge Rail...
Pendleton, Civil War Years <ul><li>Sherman’s troops commanded by Gen. Geo. Stoneman came through Pendleton in search of Je...
Pendleton Village  1857
Pendleton – Reconstruction Years One of last two states to be released from military rule under reconstruction 1877 “ Red ...
Pendleton at the End of 19 th  Century Clemson College fielded its first football team. 1896 Blue Ridge Plant of the Pendl...
Pendleton in Changing Times US Corp of Engineer’s Lake Hartwell project to dam the Savannah River and flood a proposed 9,0...
Town of  Pendleton ~ 1950
Beginning of Heritage Tourism Pendleton Historic District, the largest at the time, listed on the National Register of His...
Later Economic Development <ul><li>Economic development in the area brought in the Millikin plants, Michelin plant in Sand...
Pendleton’s Historic Markers <ul><li>Erected in the 1960-70’s by Anderson county, Pendleton Historic Foundation, Pendleton...
Pendleton’s Historic Markers   On E. Queen/ Town Square
Pendleton’s Historic Markers On Mechanic Street side of Town Square
Pendleton’s Historic Markers On E. Queen St. at N Broad St.
Pendleton’s Historic Markers St. Paul’s Church Yard
Pendleton’s Historic Markers Old Cherry Rd - Clemson
Pendleton’s Historic Markers St. Paul’s Churchyard
Pendleton’s Historic Markers Vance Street
Pendleton’s Historic Markers Old Greenville Hwy
Pendleton’s Historic Markers US76 across from Tri County Tech
Pictorial History of Pendleton <ul><li>Downtown Historic Commercial Areas </li></ul><ul><li>Historic Houses </li></ul><ul>...
Hunter’s Store  c. 1850 E. Queen St.
Farmer’s Hall  (before 1928)
Hunter’s Store  early 1900’s
E. Main St.  (early 1900’s ?)
E. Queen St.  (buildings now gone)
E. Main St. 1960’s,  Center Portion   c. 1793
Smith Oil Co  c. 1935
E Main,  about 1935
Keese Barn   (antique barn & social hall) W. Queen St.
Aerial View of Blue Ridge Mill   (1902)
Aerial View Baptist Church &   Blue Ridge Mill (1902 from water tower at MiCassa)
MiCassa  c. 1830   (1902)
Faith Cabin Library
James Hunter House  c. 1860
Lowther Hall  c. 1793
Sitton House  c. 1859 First Brick House in Pendleton
Woodburn  before 1970’s restoration
Tanglewood  (burned 1970’s)
St. Paul’s Episcopal  c. 1822
Pendleton Presbyterian Church Old Greenville Hwy, c. 1824 Corner Mechanic& Broad Sts., c. 1893
Pendleton Methodist Church c. 1834, burned c. 1939 Rebuilt using original front stained  class window, later enlarged
Pendleton Baptist Church  c. 1843
4 th  of July Parade  (1905)
“ Red Shirt” Reunion on Square  (1896 or 1906’s?)
Smythe Family at Woodburn The simple things made us happy back then…
Area Historic Sites  Those not located in downtown area and will not be seen of upcoming “History Walk” through Pendleton.
Hopewell  c. 1785 Off Old Cherry Rd. - Clemson
Hopewell Treaty Marker Old Cherry Rd., before crossing Lake
Montpelier  c. 1849   Old Greenville Hwy, across from Refuge Baptist Church
Keeses’s Barn Memorial West Queen St.
Ashtabula  c. 1825 Old Greenville Hwy Original House c. 1789
Woodburn  c. 1830 US76, across from TriCounty Tech Moorhead Cabin 1810 and Adger carriage house (reproduction)
<ul><li>Non-profit, volunteer-run organization founded in 1960 </li></ul><ul><li>Mission:  An educational organization ded...
Pendleton Historic Foundation Ashtabula & Woodburn Historic Houses <ul><li>2009 Events: </li></ul><ul><li>May 21 – Members...
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in …5
×

Historic Timeline of Pendleton, SC

14,690 views

Published on

Timeline of historical events and happenings in Pendleton, SC including historic and current photos of historic structures and houses in the Pendleton, SC area. Developed by the Pendleton Historic Foundataion with the assistance of the Pendleton District Commission who supplied the historic photos.

Published in: Travel, Business
0 Comments
2 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

No Downloads
Views
Total views
14,690
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
5,161
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
46
Comments
0
Likes
2
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Historic Timeline of Pendleton, SC

  1. 1. History Of Pendleton, SC Time Line & Pictorial History Leadership Pendleton 2009 Class
  2. 2. Pendleton On the Frontier 1777 – 1800 Lowther Hall, oldest house still existing in Pendleton, built by Wm. Hunter. First mercantile firm of Wadworth, Turpin and Steele established in Pendleton by Wm Steele on S. side public square. Steele was Pendleton’s first postmaster, post office in store. 1793 Pendleton & Greenville merged to form Washington county with Pickensville as courthouse town. 1791 Village of Pendleton founded at Pendleton county courthouse site and a temporary log courthouse was built N. of the current public square. Land sale listed in Book A, Pg1. 1790 Hopewell-Keowee Presbyterian Church founded by Andres Pickens in Pendleton County John Miller built his house As a commissioner, helped establish Pendleton Village Samuel Loftis, Pendleton County’s first Sheriff, built 2-story brick house on lands that later became Ashtabula Plantation. Loftis as a commissioner helped establish Pendleton village. Pendleton & Greenville Counties established from Indian lands (Pendleton = TriCounty Area) 1789 South Carolina officially becomes a State 1788 Gen. Andrew Pickens builds a large log house on 573 acres and establishes Hopewell Plantation. As a county commissioner, helped establish Pendleton Village 1785 Signing of Peace Treaty at Treaty Oak with Cherokee, Choctaws and Chickasaw officially ceding their lands in South Carolina 1785 Indians who sided with British during Revolution vacated their lands in SC upstate after major defeat to the patriots. 1777
  3. 3. Pendleton: 1800-1830 The Upcounty Center of Culture, Trade and Commerce Many wealthly Charlestonians continued to built summer Plantations in Pendleton area to escape the fear that Charleston would be burned by the British as was Washington in War of 1812. 1812 – 1814 <ul><li>New permanent brick courthouse build on public square. </li></ul><ul><li>First jail built on public square </li></ul><ul><li>Circulating library founded with public money. </li></ul>~1810 <ul><li>Inauguration of Miller’s Weekly Messenger (John Miller, Publisher), westermost newspaper in the nation at the time. Became the Pendleton Messenger after his death and later taken over by Fred. Symmes as publisher. </li></ul><ul><li>Samuel Maverick buys mercantile business of Wadsworth, Turpin and Steele, buys much land becoming one of the largest landowners in the state. </li></ul>1807 Andrew Pickens vacates Hopewell to move to Tomassee since Pendleton Village was become too populated. 1805 <ul><li>Hopewell Presbyterian Church, now known as Old Stone Church, completed replacing the 1789 wood structure that burned in 1797. </li></ul><ul><li>Samuel Maverick builds “Montpelier” E. of town on 4,400 acres. </li></ul>1802 <ul><li>Pendleton District established when Washington County divided into Pendleton and Greenville Districts due to large population growth in area. </li></ul><ul><li>Village of Pendleton became designated as courthouse site with 55 town lots established. Lowcountry planters began purchasing land in area to build large summer plantation homes and permanent residences. </li></ul>1800
  4. 4. Antebellum South Carolina Economy <ul><li>Mid 1820’s - End of Low Country’s golden age of rice due to competition of cheap Indian rice in European market,replaced by sea island cotton (no ginning required) </li></ul><ul><li>1800 – 1840 -Invention of workable cotton gin made upland cotton (short-staple) cost effective cash crop in the Upstate </li></ul><ul><li>Beginning in mid 1830’s - Low cotton prices and depletion of soil caused many planters sons to move further west for new lands </li></ul><ul><li>By 1840, no longer the leading cotton producing state </li></ul><ul><li>Anti-business climate prevailed although 18 small textile factories emerged in Upstate to compete with New England </li></ul><ul><li>By 1850, Charleston no longer part of direct European trade route, became satellite of NY, Boston and Philadelphia ports </li></ul>
  5. 5. Pendleton, SC First Summer Resort 1815 - 1830 John C. Calhoun sworn in as Andrew Jackson’s Vice President, resigned in 1831. 1829 <ul><li>New jail sold and converted to Female Academy. </li></ul><ul><li>Courthouse purchased by Farmer’s Society as new meeting hall. </li></ul>1828 <ul><li>New Courthouse to be begun on public square but Legislature voted to divide Pendleton District into Anderson and Pickens Districts due to population growth. Pendleton continued to serve at courthouse town until 1828 when the two new courthouses completed. </li></ul>1826 <ul><li>Male Academy established on land where Town Hall and Anderson School Dist 4 buildings now located </li></ul><ul><li>John C. Calhoun & family moves from Abbeville to buy Clergy Hall and establishes Ft. Hill Plantation. House will be enlarged over the years. </li></ul><ul><li>Lewis Ladson Gibbes and wife Maria Drayton Gibbes begin building the “big house” at Ashtabula Plantation. </li></ul>1825 <ul><li>New larger Presbyterian Church built on E. Greenville St. to be closer to town replacing the Old Stone church </li></ul>1824 St. Paul’s Church sanctuary completed 1822 New two-story brick jail built off the square on W. Queen St. (now a residence, Marshalsea) 1821 St. Paul’s Episcopal Church organized by new residents from the Lowcountry 1819 Pendleton Farmer’s Society founded, Thomas Pinckney first President (still in operation) 1815
  6. 6. Pendleton ~ 1826 Largest Town in Pendleton District
  7. 7. Pendleton 1830 - 1848 Pendleton Baptist Church founded and church built, building replaced in 1951. 1842 Pendleton Methodist Church building completed, burned in 1939. 1840 John C. Calhoun became president of Pendleton Farmer’s Society 1839 Pendleton Manufacturing Co. incorporated as textile mill by Enoch B. Benson, W.H.D. Gaillard, and the Sloans (John T., Thomas M., Bengamin F.) located S. of town in what is now LaFrance. One of first in SC. 1838 Pendleton Jockey Club chartered 1835 Pendleton Methodist Church founded 1834 Famous Duel between Benj. F. Perry of Greenville Sentinel (Unionist) & Turner Bynum (Nullifyer) on island in Tugaloo River. Bynum mortally wounded, buried at St. Paul’s Charles Cotesworth Pinckney became Lt. Gov. under Gov Hayne during nullification crisis 1832-1833 <ul><li>John C. Calhoun elected to US Senate from SC. Advocated Nullification /states rights </li></ul><ul><li>Wm. Knauff, cabinet maker from Charleston, set–up shop, brought by Mrs. Calhoun. </li></ul>1832 James Butler Bonham practices law in Pendleton prior to going to Texas where he died at the Alamo 1830 – 1834 Charles Cotesworth Pinckney completed the house at Woodburn Plantation 1830
  8. 8. Pendleton 1848 - 1861 New Guard house (jail) and market house built on public square. 1860 Construction on Blue Ridge Railroad halted N. of Walhalla (Stumphouse Tunnel) by the high cost on construction (fraud, the high price of imported iron, lack of local engineering expertise) and the subsequent withdrawal of funding by the State. 1859 Blue Ridge Railroad finished through Pendleton connecting Pendleton with Anderson via rail. 1858 Originally the dream of John c. Calhoun in the 1830’s, construction finally begins on the Blue Ridge Railroad to run between Anderson and Knoxville and ultimately to Cincinnati to connect Charleston and the Upstate with emerging markets in the north. 1854 <ul><li>Rev. John Adger, Presbyterian minister from wealthy Charleston family, buys and expands Woodburn Plantation. </li></ul><ul><li>James T. Latta buys and expends Ashtabula Plantation. </li></ul>1852-5 <ul><li>Second oldest commercial building still standing on public square build by Jesse Lewis as a store (now known as Hunter’s Store) </li></ul><ul><li>John C. Calhoun dies in Washington, returned to SC and buried with great ceremony in St. Phillips’s churchyard in Charleston </li></ul>1850 <ul><li>Mrs. John C. Calhoun leads drive to raise funds to purchase a pipe organ for St. Pauls. </li></ul><ul><li>Samuel Maverick’s house “Montpelier” burns and rebuilt on same site. </li></ul>1848
  9. 9. Pendleton, Civil War Years <ul><li>Sherman’s troops commanded by Gen. Geo. Stoneman came through Pendleton in search of Jefferson Davis and the Confederate treasury. (“Stoneman’s Raid”) </li></ul><ul><li>Most of people who took refuge in Pendleton left after the war, many never to return. </li></ul>May 1865 The bell at St. Paul’s would toll out the bad news when the train brought word of a local death. The bell was later donated to be melted down to make ammunition. 1861-65 <ul><li>Many Charlestonians & residents of Columbia took refuge in Pendleton during war years since no conflict in the area. </li></ul><ul><li>Blue Ridge House (hotel) in downtown Pendleton advertised in Charleston newspaper as alternative to popular Northern summer resorts and very accessible via Blue Ridge railroad </li></ul><ul><li>The Adger family from Charleston acquired three plantations in Pendleton, Woodburn, Ashtabula, and Rivoli as their war refuge. </li></ul>1861 South Carolina succeeded from the Union, the first state to do so, setting the stage for the beginning of the Civil War. 1860
  10. 10. Pendleton Village 1857
  11. 11. Pendleton – Reconstruction Years One of last two states to be released from military rule under reconstruction 1877 “ Red Shirt” brigades from towns all over state supported Wade Hampton III election to Governor under the slogan “Force without Violence” that helped end reconstruction. 1876 Silver Springs Baptist Church established at foot of Hunter’s Hill on old road to Clemson. New church built in 1926 on new road to Clemson. 1874 Jesse Cornelius Stribling (Rossdale and later Sleepy Hollow farm) had first registered herd of Jersey cattle in SC and one of first in SE. – The beginning of SC dairy industry. Cattle continues to be Anderson County’s primary agricultural product. 1873 <ul><li>A.M.E. Church established with church on Vance St. behind Hunter’s Store, replaced in 1957 by present A.M.E. King’s Chapel. </li></ul><ul><li>James Hunter purchases Lewis’s store on town square which operates until new store built next door in 1929. </li></ul>1870 Thomas Green Clemson, in his capacity with the Farmer’s Society, begins advocating the establishment of an agricultural college to teach improved farming methods. 1868 Climate of terrorism existed across state and particularly in Upstate as white Democrats rebelled against government by Republicans and freed former slaves. 1865 – 1871
  12. 12. Pendleton at the End of 19 th Century Clemson College fielded its first football team. 1896 Blue Ridge Plant of the Pendleton Manufacturing Co. (textile co.) built on Blue Ridge St 1893 Present Presbyterian Church built on S. Broad St. Rev. John Adger delivered the last sermon at the old church and first at the new church. 1893 <ul><li>Clemson Agricultural College founded under the terms of Thomas Green Clemson’s will and welcomed first class in 1893 including Gov. Tillman’s son. </li></ul><ul><li>A. T. Smythe, member of Adger family & owner of Woodburn, was one of Clemson’s first Trustees and watched the building of the campus from Woodburn’s “widow’s walk”. </li></ul><ul><li>Atlanta – Charlotte Air Line Railroad (now Norfolk Southern) built the main line to the NE through Seneca, and Central completely bypassing Pendleton thereby creating an economic development disaster for the town located only on a branch line connecting through Anderson. </li></ul>1889 Jane Edna Harris Hunter, African-American activist and reformer, born on Woodburn Farm and later founded the Philis Wheatley Assoc. after moving to Cleveland, OH. Recognized by Ohio as one of its top 20 “Heroes”. 1882 Hunter’s store wooden warehouse built behind Hunter’s Store (still standing) 1880
  13. 13. Pendleton in Changing Times US Corp of Engineer’s Lake Hartwell project to dam the Savannah River and flood a proposed 9,000 acres of farm land, mostly belonging to Clemson College, did result in the flooding of the ruins of many of antebellum plantation houses along the Seneca River. ~ 1958-1961 US76 Hwy improvement project bypassed downtown Pendleton, passing through Woodburn Farm instead, thus preserving its historic town square and character. 1950’s Pendleton town fathers persuaded Milliken to build their new finishing plant and later the Garish Milliken plant just outside Pendleton. 1947 - 1950 Federal Government through Resettlement Act purchased 29,625 acres (about 150 farms) of worn-out, eroded farm land and leased it to Clemson College for their use and remediation. (Woodburn was included in this buy-out). Lands deeded to Clemson in 1954. 1935 <ul><li>Many of the large antebellum houses could not be maintained and became “apartment houses” for tenant farmers owned by absentee landlords and often housing 2-3 families. </li></ul><ul><li>Tenant farmers flocked to the textile mills as boll-weevil devastated cotton crops </li></ul>1930’s SC28 Hwy through Pendleton widened, paved (formerly dirt), and rerouted in places impacting town square and frontage of historic structures in town. 1929 The high cotton prices, diverting land from food production and leading to a high cost of living, setting the stage for the devastating effects of the boll-weevil & great depression. 1920’s One story addition to the Guard House, building later housed the Pendleton Library. 1911 April Fools day student “strike” by a large number of Clemson cadets in “drag” included a march to Pendleton resulted in the formation of the “Pendleton Guards” and an annual student event in Pendleton. Town of Clemson yet to emerge. 1907
  14. 14. Town of Pendleton ~ 1950
  15. 15. Beginning of Heritage Tourism Pendleton Historic District, the largest at the time, listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Ashtabula and Woodburn were individually listed and opened as house museums. 1970-1972 The National Trust for Historic Preservation sponsors a tour of the Upstate and Pendleton as part of their annual meeting in Charleston. 1970 <ul><li>Clemson University deeds Woodburn to the Foundation for Historic Restoration for Restoration in the Pendleton Area. </li></ul><ul><li>The Foundation for Historic Restoration begins a program to erect Historic Markers in the area beginning with (1) John Ewing Colhoun/Keowee on road from Clemson to Daniel HS (2)Hopewell/Hopewell Indian Treaties on Old Cherry Rd. </li></ul><ul><li>Pendleton District Historical & Recreation Commission established by the SC Legislature to preserve the area’s history and to promote tourism in the Tri-County area. </li></ul><ul><li>Foundation for Historic Restoration in conjunction with the Anderson, Greenville, Oconee, and Pickens Historical Societies hosts the Second SC Landmark Conference. </li></ul>1966 <ul><li>Foundation for Historic Restoration in the Pendleton Area (name later changed to the Pendleton Historic Foundation) founded by members of Clemson College Architecture Dept. and Pendleton Farmer’s Society to preserve Woodburn (owned by Clemson University) and other historic structures which were in danger of being lost. </li></ul><ul><li>Ashtabula given to the Foundation for Historic Restoration by Mead Paper Company to preserve it and to serve as a house museum for the interpretation of local culture. </li></ul><ul><li>Tri County Technical College founded with 300 students first year(1962) to help with economic development of Tri County area. Located in Pendleton along US 76 on former Woodburn Farm property. </li></ul>1960
  16. 16. Later Economic Development <ul><li>Economic development in the area brought in the Millikin plants, Michelin plant in Sandy Springs, and various Clemson Univ. facilities. </li></ul><ul><li>The historic “quaint” character of Pendleton continues to attract tourists and new residents. </li></ul><ul><li>Ashtabula and Woodburn Historic House museums attracted ~ 8,000 visitors in 2008 for tours, weddings, and special events. </li></ul>
  17. 17. Pendleton’s Historic Markers <ul><li>Erected in the 1960-70’s by Anderson county, Pendleton Historic Foundation, Pendleton District Commission and other groups. </li></ul><ul><li>There are many historic sites in area yet to have a marker </li></ul>
  18. 18. Pendleton’s Historic Markers On E. Queen/ Town Square
  19. 19. Pendleton’s Historic Markers On Mechanic Street side of Town Square
  20. 20. Pendleton’s Historic Markers On E. Queen St. at N Broad St.
  21. 21. Pendleton’s Historic Markers St. Paul’s Church Yard
  22. 22. Pendleton’s Historic Markers Old Cherry Rd - Clemson
  23. 23. Pendleton’s Historic Markers St. Paul’s Churchyard
  24. 24. Pendleton’s Historic Markers Vance Street
  25. 25. Pendleton’s Historic Markers Old Greenville Hwy
  26. 26. Pendleton’s Historic Markers US76 across from Tri County Tech
  27. 27. Pictorial History of Pendleton <ul><li>Downtown Historic Commercial Areas </li></ul><ul><li>Historic Houses </li></ul><ul><li>Churches </li></ul><ul><li>Historic Events </li></ul>
  28. 28. Hunter’s Store c. 1850 E. Queen St.
  29. 29. Farmer’s Hall (before 1928)
  30. 30. Hunter’s Store early 1900’s
  31. 31. E. Main St. (early 1900’s ?)
  32. 32. E. Queen St. (buildings now gone)
  33. 33. E. Main St. 1960’s, Center Portion c. 1793
  34. 34. Smith Oil Co c. 1935
  35. 35. E Main, about 1935
  36. 36. Keese Barn (antique barn & social hall) W. Queen St.
  37. 37. Aerial View of Blue Ridge Mill (1902)
  38. 38. Aerial View Baptist Church & Blue Ridge Mill (1902 from water tower at MiCassa)
  39. 39. MiCassa c. 1830 (1902)
  40. 40. Faith Cabin Library
  41. 41. James Hunter House c. 1860
  42. 42. Lowther Hall c. 1793
  43. 43. Sitton House c. 1859 First Brick House in Pendleton
  44. 44. Woodburn before 1970’s restoration
  45. 45. Tanglewood (burned 1970’s)
  46. 46. St. Paul’s Episcopal c. 1822
  47. 47. Pendleton Presbyterian Church Old Greenville Hwy, c. 1824 Corner Mechanic& Broad Sts., c. 1893
  48. 48. Pendleton Methodist Church c. 1834, burned c. 1939 Rebuilt using original front stained class window, later enlarged
  49. 49. Pendleton Baptist Church c. 1843
  50. 50. 4 th of July Parade (1905)
  51. 51. “ Red Shirt” Reunion on Square (1896 or 1906’s?)
  52. 52. Smythe Family at Woodburn The simple things made us happy back then…
  53. 53. Area Historic Sites Those not located in downtown area and will not be seen of upcoming “History Walk” through Pendleton.
  54. 54. Hopewell c. 1785 Off Old Cherry Rd. - Clemson
  55. 55. Hopewell Treaty Marker Old Cherry Rd., before crossing Lake
  56. 56. Montpelier c. 1849 Old Greenville Hwy, across from Refuge Baptist Church
  57. 57. Keeses’s Barn Memorial West Queen St.
  58. 58. Ashtabula c. 1825 Old Greenville Hwy Original House c. 1789
  59. 59. Woodburn c. 1830 US76, across from TriCounty Tech Moorhead Cabin 1810 and Adger carriage house (reproduction)
  60. 60. <ul><li>Non-profit, volunteer-run organization founded in 1960 </li></ul><ul><li>Mission: An educational organization dedicated to the restoration and preservation of historic properties in the Pendleton area and the interpretation of the diverse history and cultural heritage of the area. </li></ul><ul><li>Programs: </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Preservation of Ashtabula and Woodburn Historic Houses </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Development and interpretation of these sites as major Upstate heritage tourism sites including living history demonstrations </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Educational programs on our region’s contribution to the state’s and nation’s cultural heritage for both young and mature minds </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Historic Pendleton & Historic Homeowners Assoc., a community outreach preservation program to provide education and assistance to owners of historic structures in the area </li></ul></ul>
  61. 61. Pendleton Historic Foundation Ashtabula & Woodburn Historic Houses <ul><li>2009 Events: </li></ul><ul><li>May 21 – Membership Dinner – Ashtabula </li></ul><ul><ul><ul><ul><ul><li>Speaker: Dr. Emory Thomas - Guests Welcome </li></ul></ul></ul></ul></ul><ul><li>May 31 – Dedication Jane Edna Hunter Cabin – Woodburn – Speaker: Dr. Rhondda Thomas – Clemson University </li></ul><ul><li>October 16 – Annual Benefit Gala “Evening under the Stars” – Woodburn </li></ul><ul><li>December (Fri-Sat-Sun before Christmas) Candlelight Christmas Tours - Ashtabula </li></ul>

×