1-800-Flowers Jordan Glogau Presentation - BDI 11/11/10 Social Commerce Leadership Forum
Partnership Proposal toEffective Media StrategiesPartnership Proposal to
Sandals & Preston Bailey
February 16, 2006
Effective Media Strategies
Presented by Jordan Glogau
first retail floral
line and renaming of
company after its
Launch of first
Move to AOL as their
partner and exclusive
2004 2005 2006 2008
Cabin children’s gifts
2010: MULTI-CHANNEL MIX, INCREASED FOCUS
ON SOCIAL COMMERCE
• New & Emerging Channels: Social Media, Mobile, Online
• Online: Search, Email, Display, Retargeting
• Broadcast: TV & Radio• Broadcast: TV & Radio
• PR/Brand: Contests, Charities, Celebrity Partnerships
• Web: Increased focus on Social Commerce
• Print: Catalog
• 2010 statistic: *In August, U.S. Internet users spent 41.1 billion
minutes on Facebook, surpassing Google's 39.8 billion minutes
for the first time, according to comScore.
• Strategy: be more than transactional to drive more
• Tactics: Create places where customers can collaborate• Tactics: Create places where customers can collaborate
online, get advice from trusted individuals, find
recommendations, reviews, and wish lists, and make well-
educated purchase decisions.
• 1-800-Flowers example: integration of Facebook “Like It” and
birthday reminders functionality into multi-channel shopping
OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA STRATEGIES & TACTICS
• Launched Facebook & Twitter programs 2+ years ago.
• Strong network of bloggers.
• Ratings & Reviews integrated in Web shopping experience,
partnered with Bazaarvoice.
• Cross-functional / cross-departmental buy-in and support across• Cross-functional / cross-departmental buy-in and support across
Marketing, PR, and Customer Service.
• Content driven by what our fans and followers ask us for.
• Work with an agency that has expertise in the social space.
• Facebook store allows for transactions/sales without user having
to leave Facebook experience, partnered with Alvenda.
PR: BRAND VISIBILITY YEAR-ROUND
1-800-FLOWERS ON CBS’ “UNDERCOVER BOSS”:
MOBILE: 1-800-FLOWERS PROGRAM
1-800-Flowers Mobile background:
• Launched Mobile Web 5+ years ago
• Launched multiple platform applications
– Launched Blackberry app 2.5 years ago– Launched Blackberry app 2.5 years ago
– Launched iPhone app 2 years ago
– Launched Android app 1 year ago
• Active in SMS, Mobile Display, Mobile Search Marketing for
MOBILE: WHERE IT’S HEADED
• Consistently strong growth channel, significant channel shift
combined with new customers.
• Alternative Payment Methods will make Mobile shopping
• Mobile-specific Acquisition marketing spends will increase.
• Tracking/analytics will become more robust, in line with what• Tracking/analytics will become more robust, in line with what
we see on traditional Web.
• Have a broad Mobile strategy: Let the customer decide what
Mobile device they most prefer using, rather than only launch
on one device. Include both Mobile Web and Mobile Apps in
KEY TAKEAWAYS FOR 2011:
• Social Commerce: be more than transactional to drive more
• Mobile: 1 out of 3 phones in the US is currently a smartphone
and # is growing fast, optimize your Mobile presence for the
Mobile shopper. Projected 1 out of 2 by 2012.Mobile shopper. Projected 1 out of 2 by 2012.
• Online video: integrate where relevant, shoppers will soon
come to expect more video (ie: 360 product views).
• Online display ads: integrate contests to drive CTR, focus on
behavioral targeting & re-targeting.
• PR/Brand: stay top of mind year-round, charities, contests &
celeb partnerships get even more visibility due to Social Media.
Follow-up questions any time: