Youth Art Month March
Howard E. Heckethorn E.S.
• National Youth Art Month theme for
• Three teachers from CCSD came up with
this theme while writing their thesis!!
• Often states use a unique YAM theme.
• In the past our flag has been designed
by one young artist.
• This year it will be a collaboration of
• Inspired by our theme “Art Shapes Me”
we will have our young artists design
hand prints, varying in size depending
on the grade level.
2011 Flag Timeline
• Discuss YAM with your students and the importance
of the arts in schools
• Print out template and have your students draw,
color, paint inside the handprint.
• Choose 20 winning designs. Try to select them from
all grades. Send home the YAM permission slip.
• Submit up to 20 designs with permission slips to
YAM Co-Chair by December 22, 2010
2011 National Youth Art
Month Flag Event,
“School Flags Across the
year of the national YAM flag event
• Flags will be displayed March in
Washington D.C. to celebrate
Create Student Art Inspired by
the YAM Theme
• Think about the
location and where
the art will be
• Individual art or
What can you do to celebrate
YAM this March?
• Have a school wide art show
• Team up with the other specialists and hold an arts festival
• Display art in your community
• Take a field trip to an art museum
• Go outside and make art
• Exchange art with another school
• Make postcard art
• Write letters to famous artists
• Invite a local artist to your school
• Create a mural
• What’s your idea?
Showcase Student Art in the
• Contact local
• At school, ask parents,
family members, and
family friends who own
• Send notes home
• Have parents hang
up art by March 1st
and take down at
the end of the month
(make a list of who is
responsible for each
• Students will be SO proud
to have their art on
display in a public place
• Send home a list of all
• Include where classes are
What can we as a district and
state do to celebrate?
• Create a flag to be flown at the National Art
Educators Conference, Seattle 2011
• District wide art show (K-12)
• Arts festival
• Art auction
• Art parade
Incentive to participate in YAM
• If you participate in YAM by
– Submitting flag designs
– Celebrate in your school and/or community
– Submit photos of your YAM activities
– Be a member of Art Educators of Nevada
You could win a free AEN Conference
registration!! Up to $130 value!!
Southern Nevada: Nicole Sattem-Crouch
Northern Nevada: Amber Urioste
*Contact Nicole Sattem-Crouch on Interact with
questions or ideas. Look for reminders there
too! Information and website also listed on
We need to
ADVOCATE and PROMOTE
the arts in schools!
If we don’t,
then who will?