1. AN ORGANIZATIONAL STUDY AT LAFARGE INDIA PVT. LTD , JAMSHEDPURA REPORT SUBMITTED IN THE PARTIAL FULFILMENT OF REQUIREMENT FOR THE AWARD OF THE DEGREE OF M.B.A BANGALO RE UNIVERSITY 2010-2012 SUBMITTED BY: ARIJEET BARDHAN REG. NO. – 10RWCMA014 UNDER THE GUIDEENCE OF Prof. CHANDRAKALA. V T.JOHN COLLEGE 86/3, Gottigere, Bannerghatta Road, Bangalore-560 083
2. CEMENT MANUFACTURING PROCESS
3. INDUSTRY PROFILE 1. In 1914, India Cement Company Ltd was established in Porbandar with a capacity of 10,000 tons and production of 1000 installed. 2.The cement industry in India saw the price and distribution control system in the year 1956. 3.Cement industry in India is currently going through a technological change as a lot of up gradation and assimilation is taking place. 4.Almost 93% of the total capacity is based entirely on the modern dry process, which is considered as more environment-friendly.5.In spite of being the second largest cement producer in the world, India falls in the list of lowest per capita consumption of cement with 125 kg.6.The cement production in India would rise to 236.16 MT in FY11. Its also expected to rise to 262.61 MT in FY12.
4. COMPANY PROFILE 1.Lafarge India is a subsidiary of the French Building Materials major Lafarge. 2.Total cement production capacity of Lafarge in the Indian market currently stands at around 6.5 million tons. 3.Lafarge India produces different types cements like Portland Slag Cement, Portland Pozzolana Cement. 4.Lafarge currently has four cement plants in India: two integratedplants in the state of Chhattisgarh, one grinding station each in Jharkhand & West Bengal. 5.In Jamshedpur Plant, Cement Grinding unit with separate circuits for clinker and slag grinding 3.4 MTPA of Cement Portland Slag Cement (PSC) & Portland Pozzolana Cement (PPC
5. MISSION Leadership: Attaining leadership of the Indian Cement Industry through the continuous modernization and expansion of manufacturing activities and facilities and through the establishment of a wide efficient marketing network Growth: Ensure a steady growth of business by strengthening the position in the cement sector and also by diversifying into other areas consistent with the overall corporate objectives. Responsibility: Fulfill the obligations to society, specifically in the areas of integrated rural development and in safeguarding the environment and natural ecological balance. Quality: Maintain the high quality of products and services and ensure their supply at fair prices.Equity: Promote and maintain fair industrial relations and an environment for the effective involvement, welfare and development of staff at all levels.
6. VISION To be a leading cement company in India Sustained growth that creates value for our shareholders and doubles our turnover every 4 years. Building strong brands that meet consumer needs and aspirations. Embracing safety as a way of life. Being a responsible citizen and ensuring sustainable development. Being commited to the highest standards of corporate governance by conducting our business with integrity, honesty, and transparency. Conservation and protection of all natural resources that are utilized.Adopting latest technologies to protect and upgrade the environment around units. Being a socially responsible organization fulfilling its obligation to the community, society, and nation. Development work in the area of health, hygiene, education and infrastructure. Delivering enduring values to investors and other stakeholders.
7. PRODUCTS CONCRETO Concreto Smart wash is suitable for exteriors as well as interiors. Withminimum investment, the smart wash technique gives the user a terrazzo floor look-alike finish on the walls. Smart wash requires no painting atall. Application of a coat of silicon paint makes the wall resistant to water ingress and washable. DURAGUARD Strong cement helps you build a home that lasts a lifetime. The strengthand longevity of cement depends on its granular composition along with its chemical constituents LAFARGE PORTLAND SLAG CEMENT Lafarge Cement is a very high performance blended Portland Slag Cement available in the major markets in East India. Lafarge Cement is well accepted and appreciated by the consumers for its superior product quality and the consistency in product delivery.
8. ORGANIZATIONAL STRUCTURE SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT Production Sales E & I Manager HR Manager Manager IT Manager ManagerMechanical Safety Quality Sales Inventory Logistics Manager Manager Manager Manager Manager
10. DEPARTMENTS AND FUNCTIONAL AREAS Department Code Department NameE&I E&IG GeneralHR Human ResourceIT Information TechnologyI & NW Investments & New WorksLOG LogisticsMECH MechanicalINV Plant InventoryQ ProcessPROD ProductionQA Quality AssuranceSAF SafetyS SalesSEQ SecurityTES Technical Services
11. SWOT ANALYSISSTRENGTHCompany has an annual production capacity of 9.4 MTPA.Company is ISO 9001 and 14001 certified.Company has around 2500 Dealers.Company has 4 cement plants and 60 warehouses.Company’s emphasis on overall safety.The company enjoys a high degree of vertical integration.Company’s brand enjoys a good reputation.Lafarge enjoys partnerships with world leading research teams anduniversities in the US, China and Asia.Company’s High R&D and InnovationCompany’s Supply chain . WEAKNESS The climatic conditions hampering the health of the human resource hence production getting affected.
12. OPPORTUNITIESTo tie up strategic alliance with more global leaders for introduction ofbetter products and technology.It has the opportunity to penetrate the Indian market by more and morelocalization of its products.Opportunity of doing more acquisitions in the country.Opportunity of more marketing and entering more into the servicesector. THREATS Intense competition. Frequent changes in technology. Fluctuations in Government policies. Economic slowdown.
13. FINDINGS 1. Organization culture of Lafarge is formal, where every personcannot directly meet to High authority without any systematic way.2. Organization structure of Lafarge is well formatted in which each and every department plays important role. 3. In this organization time management plays important rolebecause each activity should be done at a right time at right place. 4. In Lafarge the Safety of employees are taken very seriously and for that they have some certain safety measures. 5. Security concern in Lafarge doesn’t allow the outsiders to enter into the factory without prior appointment or consulting the higher authorities. They have a very effective security system.
14. SUGGESTIONS 1.Operating expense like repairs and maintenance costs and employee cost has to be controlled. 2. Regularity of services has to be improved by giving proper schedule. 3. Should provide more and attractive facilities to overcome the competition. 4. Better to have meeting with employee’s at least once a month to have a better communication. 5. Should conduct some awareness programs among publicto build a good relationship with them as customers are kings.