Why do people self-track?
• How late can I drink coffee and still sleep well?
• What’s contributing to my headaches?
• Am I allergic to my laundry detergent?
• Which type of pollen is making me sneeze?
• Experiment (N=1): Does X cause Y?
Quantified Self -> Community
What is a game?
“A game is a series of interesting choices.”
– Sid Meier
"A game is a system in which players engage in
an artificial conflict, defined by rules, that
results in a quantifiable outcome."
– Katie Salen & Eric Zimmerman
Can games support Quantified Self?
• QS is about personalized experiments
• Few games enable personalized experiments
• QS is about community and lifestyle
• Many games promote community and lifestyle
• Maybe no, maybe yes
QS + Games = Games for Health?
• Games are entertaining
• Entertainment drives engagement
• Engagement generates data
• Data make tracking easier
• Tracking informs outcomes
• Are those outcomes meaningful to health?