FACILITATOR: Prof. Y. P. RAO
HUMAN ASSET DEVELOPER
WHAT IS STRESS?
MEANING OF STRESS
• Stress is the psychological and
physical reaction to certain
events or situations –called
stressors –in a person’s life.
• Strain is the physical and psychological
consequence of stress
TYPES OF STRESS
• EUSTRES OCCURS WHEN STRESS IS CONVERTED
TO POSITIVE ENERGY AND BECOMES A
MOTIVATING FACTOR. e.g. writing an exam
• DISTRESS IS NEGATIVE AND HAPPENS WHEN
THERE IS TOO MUCH STRESS AND WHEN
NOTHING IS DONE TO ELIMINATE, REDUCE OR
COUNTERACT ITS EFFECTS. e.g. appearing for an
• Type- A – Personality
• Type- B - Personality
Some more types
• Dempcy & Tihista gave seven types-
• INTERNAL TIME KEEPERS
• INNER CON ARTISTS
• CRITICAL JUDGES
• SABER TOOTHS
WHO ARE THEY?
• Pleasers-want to make every one happy-
• Internal time keepers-though competent,
energetic become inefficient under stress
• Strivers-ambitious and cooperative/ make
demands on themselves-can not meet
• Inner con artist-avoid responsibility/self
defeating behaviuor/ tend to be
• Critical Judges-under stress focus
on Negative-focus on mistakes –
donot learn from mistakes.
• Worriers-not only negative but also
predict the Worst.
• Saber tooths- respond to stress with
a great deal of Anger-express thro.
source of stress for others.
• Personal Stressors
• -non work issues such as
• fear of failure/acceptance/losing
• Resentment-to changes not
• Role Conflict
• Role ambiguity
• Role over load
• Person –Organization fit
• Work Environment
• Inter personal relations
• Forecasting/Expectations &
• PERSONAL Consequences-
• Silent killer-Hyper tension/
Coronary Heart disease