Tips for enhancing communicative skills. pptPresentation Transcript
Tips for EnhancingCommunicativeSkillsAs we all know, the main goalof teaching and learningspeaking is to enhancecommunicative skills. Toaccomplish this, we need tohave maximum chances tospeak in English in and out ofthe classrooms and not to beworried too much aboutmistakes or errors that arenatural process of learning L2.Here are some fun andinteresting activities both weteachers and our learners canenjoy. It is hoped that youapply them to your classes innear future. If you have anyother good ideas, please feelfree to contact:email@example.comMidterm Group Project 2011PROJECT- BASED LEARNINGDesigned by Lee, Miyoung
1. Making a Movie:# This is what Lee did when taking a teacher’s course in 2009 at ChungnamInstitute of Foreign Language Education of Korea. All the groups need toproduce a final movie that lasts for less than 5 minutes. It is absolutely agroup project.# There are 5 steps:Step 1. Writing the script.Step 2. Learning about the camera.Step 3. Filming your movie.Step 4. Editing your movie.Step 5. Presenting your movie.# Benefits1) Linguistic aspect- to experience a genuine communicative ability: a movie includes hesitation, interruptions,distractions, even silence, emotions, and body language, which are not found in typicaltextbooks- to acquire new words and structure in a fully contextualized and interactional manner- to acquire correct pronunciation, rhythm, intonation, and other prosodic features2) Psychological aspect- to improve confidence and self-esteem- to experience sense of cooperation and responsibility- to exert imagination and creativity
Step 1. Writing the script : refer to the example that Lee did.** CIFLE Daydreaming **Authors: Carpenter, Jimmy, Alice, Sunny, Amy, ChristinaCharacters : Male trainees A, B(Carpenter, Jimmy), Female trainees A, B(Alice,Sunny), Instructor(Amy), Headmaster of CIFLE(Christina Teresa),Narrator(Sunny)〔 Scene 1 〕Narrator(Sunny) : Today is the first day of CIFLE life, and everybody is so excited aboutmeeting new people and learning English.Alice : Wow, (looking around) what great scenery! Fresh air! Birds are singing. I lovethis place.Sunny: The facilities are fantastic! I didnt expect them to be great.Carpenter : Have you looked around the gym, cafeteria, golf practice range?(following parts are deleted)〔 Scene 2 〕Narrator(Sunny): All trainees are eager to study English. They enter Amys classhappily.(*At Classroom)Amy : Welcome to my drama class. You should present your teams drama tomorrow infront of your classmates. I hope you make the script right now. If your drama isnot successful, youll fail this program. Are you crystal clear?This script goes on to the Scene 3, but here I’ll delete the following parts as I guess
Step2. Learning about the Camera# You can get help about useful definitions ofcamera words and how to work with thecamera from a following site :http://atec.utdallas.edu/midori/Handouts/camera.htm# You can learn about the important cameraterms : refer to the picture below.# You can also learn about various cameraangles: refer to the above pictures.
Step3. Filming , Editing , Presenting a Movie# Based on the knowledge got from the step 2, actually be actors andactresses.# Using movie-making programs, edit the movie and insert suitable music ifnecessary.# You can enjoy the movie I made with colleagues in 2009 at this site.http://tvpot.daum.net/clip/ClipViewByVid.do?vid=awMbiFD_atk$
2. Debate# To accomplish effective and interestingdebating, following rules are needed.1)Be proud! 2) Speak Only in English!# Debating Teams1)Pros 2) Cons 3) Judges 4) Audience# Debating Team Members1)Captain: team leader2) Supporters: preparing supporting details toback up the team’s opinion3) Final man: preparing the conclusion part4) Note taker: taking notes of opposite team’sspeech, to find its weak points, to preparequestions to attack the other team# Procedures1)1stRound: Introducing team opinion2)Discussion: Breaking for strategies3)2ndRound: Refutation/Rebuttal4)Final Comments: synthesizing all ideasfrom 1stand 2ndrounds & giving finalcomments by note takers5)Judging: Deciding the winner & commentsfrom a teacher# Follow-up activity : Essay WritingThe steps of a debate are similar to thestructure of the essay writing. The speechesfrom each group can be altered a little to bea team essay. Note takers put the speechnotes together and rewrite them into a finalessay
3. Making Visual Idioms# Idioms refer to a group of words which have adifferent meaning when used together from the onethey would have if you took the meaning of eachword separately.# Idioms have symbolical or metaphoricalmeanings. If they’re understood literally, whatwould happen? Please look at the examplebelow.# Example idiom: Kick the bucket ≒ Die←Literal MeaningMetaphorical Meaning →# There are other pictures for visual idioms. Ifyou need, please contact me by e-mail.# Useful Activity: Creating your own visualCreating your own visualidiomsidioms# What you will need:- An idiom dictionary / internet- Choosing 5 ideas for visual idioms- A digital camera- Some Creativity!- Including ourselves in the pictures as muchas possible!
4. Making Vision Boards# This is the activity using your vision for future life.# What you will need-hardboard, pictures or words from magazines, colored paper and pencils# Procedures1)Think about your vision : How am I going to manage my life?2) Select pictures and words that are suitable for expressing your vision3) Organize them on the hardboard and decorate it4) Finish the work and present your vision in front of your friends# Please enjoy samples of vision boards (including me and my friends) My work
.5. Information Gap Activity# This activity is usually done with pairs. One ofthem has the information that other partner doesn’thave and they’ll share their information.# This serves lots of purposes such as solving aproblem, collecting information. They’reinterdependent as the task cannot be completed ifthey don’t give the information each other.# This is very effective since everyone has chancesto speak in English.# A useful site where you can get information gapexercises:http://bogglesworldesl.com/information_gap.htm
6. Becoming an Announcer# Using News articles, each of you acts as an announcer on radio or TV.# This activity integrates listening, writing, and speaking skills.- From the Internet News sites, you listen to the video clips.- You can enhance writing skills as well by dictating what you’ve heard or using theworksheets where you need to fill in the blanks.- Based on the dictation and original news articles, practice reading the articles justlike the news announcers.# The sites you can see and listen to the news articles- www.cnn.com , www.bbc.co.uk, abcnews.go.com
7. Other fun and helpful activities# Singing a song-It’s a very enjoyable and excitingactivity.-Listen to music and if necessary, searchthe lyrics and sing along.-With the worksheets where you need tofill blanks, you can also improve listeningand writing skills. You or your friends canmake these worksheets for each other # Story telling, Interviews, Playing cards,Story completion, Picture Narrating, Findthe Difference, and etc. from thefollowing site:http://iteslj.org/Techniques/Kayi-TeachingSpeaking.html
Reference# The 22ndKorea SecondaryEnglish Teachers’ Association.2009. English Education in GlobalEra; Improvement of TeachingMethods for Teaching English inEnglish# Chungnam Institute of ForeignLanguage Education. 2009. NewVistas of English LanguageTeaching: Why not change?I hope you to enjoy Lee’s experience!from Lee, Sisila, Andre and Vuth