Functions Of Management At Subway (Planning, Organising, Directing, Staffing, Controlling)
MANAGEMENT AT SUBWAY
MISS. SNEHA J CHOUHAN
(MBA CORE 21)
• Subway is an American fast food
restaurant franchise that primarily
sells submarine sandwiches (subs) and salads.
• It is owned and operated by Doctor's
Associates, Inc. Subway is one of the fastest
growing franchises in the world, with 42,673
restaurants in 108 countries and territories as
of September 13, 2014.
TYPE Privately Held Company
GENERE Fast Foods
FOUNDED Bridgeport, Connecticut, U.S
FOUNDERS Fred DeLuca and Peter Buck
HEADQUARTERS Milford, Connecticut, U.S
NO. OF BRANCHES 42,938 Restaurants in 107 Countries
PRODUCTS Submarine Sandwiches; Salads, Pizzas (some Locations).
• Planning is the process used by managers to identify and
select appropriate goals and courses of action for an
• The planning function determines how effective and
efficient the organization is and determines the strategy of
• In Subway, objectives are set, launch of new products,
introduction of new schemes, market survey etc. is done.
• For e.g.:- Subway recently introduced an Italian at a cost of
Rs125/- , to increase its customer base.
• Market survey is done in order to know what is more in
demand. For example, surveys are done regarding to the
demand in the market.
• In organizing managers create the structure of working
relationships between organizational members that
best allows them to work together and achieve goals.
• An organizational structure is the outcome of
organizing. This structure coordinates and motivates
employees so that they work together to achieve goals.
• In Subway, the whole activity is divided into task
groups each dealing with a specific area like food
committee, decoration committee, packaging
committee etc. In every outlet these are under the
overall supervision of the official in charge.
• BETTER STAFFING LEADS TO HAPPIER PEOPLE.
• Staffing is the managerial function of filling
and keeping filled position in the organization
structure. This is achieved by, first,
requirement of workforce, followed by
recruitment, selection, placement, promotion,
appraisal and development of personnel to fill
the roles designed into the organization.
• In directing, managers determine direction; state a
clear vision for employees to follow and help
employees understand the role they play in attaining
• The outcome of directing function is a high level of
motivation and commitment from employees to the
• In Subway, one of the reasons of success is because of
healthy supervisor-worker relationships. Mc Donald’s
and KFC in comparison has a very low turnover ratio
implying that the workers are provided with healthy
working conditions, incentives, motivation and efficient
• In controlling, the manager evaluates how well
the organization is achieving its goals and takes
corrective action to improve performance.
• The outcome of controlling function is the
accurate measurement of performance and
regulation of efficiency and effectiveness.
• In Subway, the increasing sales and consistent
demand shows that in the organization activities
are performed as per the plans, also the
organizations resources are being used effectively
• The SUBWAY system is committed to providing
a wide range of great tasting, healthier food
choices while reducing our environmental
footprint and creating a positive influence in
the communities we serve around the world.