“DECISION MAKING SKILLS
“The thought process of selecting a logical choice from
the available options.”
SNEHA. J. CHOUHAN
ROLL NO. B111207
What is Decision Making?
• Decision making can be regarded
as the Judgmental
process resulting in the selection
of a course of action.
• When trying to make a
good decision, a person must wei
ght the positives and negatives of
each option, and consider all the
• For effective decision making, a person must
be able to forecast the outcome of each option as
well, and based on all these items, determine
which option is the best for that particular
Importance of making effective
Decision Making in HR:
• Better utilization of resources
• Business growth.
• Facing problems and challenges.
• Achieving objectives.
• Facilitates innovation.
• Increases efficiency.
• Motivates Employees.
Decision Making Skills in Human
Define the issue.
Evaluation Of Alternatives
Prepare for the changes in future (if any)
Make a Decision
Identify the Pros and Cons of the options
Gather Information about the Alternatives
DECISION MAKING SKILLS REQUIRED IN HR
A Group Activity to understand how
to make effective decisions as an
RULES & REGULATIONS:
1) Any individual knowing the answer is
supposed to raise their hands. Chorus
answers will be neglected .
2) Maintain discipline.
3) Person answering highest number of
answers shall be rewarded.
How to Deal With
Employee as a HR
Solution for case 1:•
1) Conducting regular meetings with the staff and know their
grievances and resolve them.;
2) Appreciation for their work in the form of
certificates, displaying their name on the notice boards for
some doings, rewards or word of mouth.
3) Give and Take Respect policy must be followed.
4) Smiling face is the best solution to keep your employees happy.
• If there is a conflict
between the two people
of your organisation what
decision will you take to
resolve the conflict?
Solution for case 2:
Workplace Conflict Resolution:
• You must know how to deal
quickly with the burning
situation and act into
• Conflict resolution, with you
as mediator, is essential.
• Practicing personal courage is
necessary if you want to really
resolve conflicts at work.
An employee of your
organisation has a very
low attendance at his
workplace. What would
you do in order to
Solution for case 3:
• Counseling the employee, understanding the reason
behind his absenteeism.
• Making him realize the value for his work.
• Emotional influence, (Eg: How would his family run if
he is not attending his work on regular basis?)
• Recommend him to go under a Medical Fitness Test in
case he is ailing with any disease. If there is any disease
ruled out then give him a light job or in case if the
disease is critical then offer him a VRS.
• Ms. Sonia who is a sales executive of your company is
dealing into making business with Mr. Ajay from Goodwill
company pvt. Ltd. Recently they had a conflict and Mr. Ajay
complained to you for removing Ms. Sonia or else he will
stop making any further business with your company.
• Problem arised are:
1) Mr. Ajay is a loyal customer you cannot afford losing him
as he gives your company a lot of business.
2) Ms. Sonia is an excellent employee who has a very good
track record and he was liked within the company.
Dismissing her or even transferring her to a new
region will affect the morale of the work force
What decision would you make as an HR Manager to resolve
Solution for Case 4:
1. Mr. Ajay is a major customer and cannot be displeased.
You can remove or transfer Ms. Sonia.
2. Ms. Sonia is a loyal and hard working. You need to keep
people like her even if it means loosing customers.
3. You can stop answering calls, act ignorant of the whole
episode. 'Time will solve the problem'.
4. Try to get Ms. Sonia and Mr. Ajay together for discussion
and try to compromise over the differences.
5. Shift Ms. Sonia to a new and more important project -
develop new business in the newly formed sub-region.
Mr. Ajay will have no problem with the new sales
• A worker whilst working in the
factory got his hand severely
injured. The company did not pay
attention initially for getting any
immediate medical treatment. The
workers thus got aggrevated and
they stopped the production
process and thus called off a flash
(immediate/ without any notice)
• How would you tackle the situation
as a HR Manager?
Solution for Case 5:
• Pacify all the Trade Union Leaders and Workers
to start with the production process and thus
accordingly the matter can be discussed with
utmost peace with the Trade Unions .
• Assure the workers that the entire medical
facilities shall be taken care by the company.
• Inform the factories department, headquarters
and regional offices.
• Assure the workers that higher safety measures
shall be taken to prohibit any further accidents.