1. Facebook still matters. “Like” a lot.
2. Want strategic results? Start with a strategic content engine.
3. Connect Facebook engagement to fundraising data.
4. Ads: help the right people take the right action.
5. Groups: where communities and discussion groups should live.
6. Events: 2x attendance plus reconnecting lost audiences.
7. Donations: let the people give what, when and how they want.
Instagram is owned by Facebook!
And the Facebook Ad network
extends to Instagram.
2.2 Billion 1 Billion Over 1 Billion 1.3 Billion
each month. 1
Reach the alumni who are important to you across the
Facebook family of apps
Source: 1) Facebook earnings, Q2 2018, 2) Audience Network stat, Q4 2016
Nearly 20M businesses
exchange messages with
people every month
Facebook: This Is Where the Party’s At
Source: EverTrue data, Sept. 2018
1942 1956 1965 1974 1983 1992 2001 2010
Engagement By Class Year
(Overheard in the office)
“Our alumni don’t
Your alumni DO use Facebook.
Here’s what they don’t use...
Sales down 60% since 2007
Source: Forbes 2018
✓ Facebook is where your people live
✓ They’re always logged in
✓ Facebook loves Groups and promotes that content with news feeds
✓ Closed communities often have trouble with adoption
Downside: limited analytics
Why Facebook Groups
“[Facebook will] give people
the power to build
community and bring the
world closer together.”
- Mark Zuckerberg
Is your college/school using Facebook Groups to
actively connect with alums?
How much does your advancement team
spend on Facebook Ads annually?
Source: Facebook data, April 2018
Retarget Website Visitors and Target Your Email Database on Facebook
Facebook’s broad reach
across desktop and
mobile consists of 2.2
billion monthly active
Deliver ads to people
across devices on
or apps in the
With Facebook, you'll
reach real people, not
Layer other Facebook
targeting options to
ensure you’re sending
the right message
to the right people
Why Facebook Ads?
Every Brown Graduate Brown alumni who live in the
Northeast and have young
Reach Who You Want to Reach
Start with a .csv
from EverTrue or
Upload to Facebook
as Custom Audience
Share content with
Precision Targeting Via Custom Audiences
Facebook Ads: Using the Pixel
Learn more: https://www.facebook.com/business/learn/facebook-ads-pixel
My friend Courtney’s Instagram and Facebook feeds… lots and lots of shoes.
Re-connect with site visitors
Facebook Ads Ideas
1. Create ads to drive more followers. Target alumni who
don’t yet like your Page.
2. Use EverTrue to build Custom Audiences (LYBUNTs,
SYBUNTs, event non-attendees, well-connected
volunteers) and showcase content just for them.
3. Pop the pixel onto your website and share stories or
appeals with site visitors the day after they connect.
4. Use conversion tracking to re-engage non-donors or
thank recent donors.
Event Follow-Up: Make The Ask
Take a meeting
with a gift officer
planning or hosting
the next event
Make a gift that
aligns with the
Facebook Events Ideas
1. Use Events to spread the word about what’s already
2. Co-promote Events with Facebook Pages across
3. Promote future Facebook Live broadcasts using Events.
4. Pair with Eventbrite to drive more registrations, insights
across the office.
Are you using the
Facebook Donate button?
Why Facebook Donate?
✓ Add button right to your page
✓ Collect fee-free payments
✓ Deliver asks with FB ads
✓ Facebook and PayPal match
donations on #GivingTuesday
✓ Bring in more attendees
Since 2005, alumni participation rates have
dropped by 33%
Since 1990, they have been cut in half
What You Can Do Today
1. Get to know your digital team — and start a
2. Dip your toe into Facebook Ads (define
goal, put $25 behind it, see what happens)
3. Test out Facebook events, whether it’s a
virtual or in-person gathering.
1. Get that content engine going. Define themes,
create shareable content, measure engagement,
make the ask.
2. Add the Donate button and put that in front of the
right people at the right time.
3. Create Groups aligned to goals. They probably exist
already! Who are the volunteers and social
ambassadors you can engage to help?
What You Can Do Soon
1. Add dedicated social/digital specialists to your fundraising team:
content creators, community managers, digital gift officers.
2. Reduce spend in other areas (phonathon, print solicitations) and
dedicate more resources to storytelling and measurable ad spending.
3. Execute a year-’round, digital-first strategy where social drives results
for the entire advancement team.
4. Make EverTrue a key part of every team member’s daily life.
What You Should Do
Next Fiscal Year