Make a Mobile Website Quickly and Easily with WinkSite
This is an activity resource to allow you to become familiar with how WinkSite
generates a mobile website quickly and easily.
The majority of your work happens before you start editing with Winksite. You
should have all of your images, video links, text and pages organized in a digital
folder and on a Word document so you can copy and paste information into the
WinkSite forms. In this tutorial we will use Niagara Falls as out topic.
We will use nature, history and tourism as the categories or Channels for our
The website visual representation, shown here, is the structure that we will follow
to generate this website.
1. Go to the web address http://winksite.com
2. Sign up and log in
3. On the Dashboard, click on the Create Site button
4. The Create a Mobile Site form appears
5. Enter a title
6. Complete the web address
7. Type a short description of your web site
8. Input the Homepage information including the title, an optional subtitle and
the text content that will appear on the homepage
9. Insert Channel Names (categories)
10. Choose a few ready-made apps. (links & Guestbook)
11. Choose the Category travel
12. Click on the Build Site button
13. A site preview screen appears
(OPTIONAL – find a picture of Niagara Falls and use it in the following steps)
14.To add a front page Title Image, click on the Choose File button
15. Select the file, click on the Upload button
16.Note the Preview changes
17. Click on the Save button
18. The Main Menu page appears
19. Focus on the Content Channels section
20. Click on the Edit Channel option beside the Nature Channel
21. The Edit Content Channel page appears
22. Type in a Title, turn the status to ON
23. Choose this This channel will contain pages.
24. Paste the text information in the Content text box
25. Click on the Save button
26. Click on the Return to Main Menu link
27. Click on the Edit Channel option beside the History Channel
28. The Edit Content Channel page appears
29. Type in a Title “History”, turn the status to ON
30. Choose this This channel will contain pages.
31. Paste the text information in the Content text box
32.Click on the Save button
33. Click on the Return to Main Menu link
34. Click on the Edit Channel option beside the Tourism Channel
35. The Edit Content Channel page appears
36. Type in a Title “Tourism”, turn the status to ON
37. Choose this This channel will contain pages.
38. Paste the text information in the Content text box
39. Click on the Save button
40. Click on the Add Page link
41. The Add Page page appears
42.Input the Page Title Canadian Falls
43. Paste the text information in the Content text box
44. Click on the Save button
45. Click on the Add Page link
46. The Add Page page appears
47. Input the Page Title American Falls
48. Paste the text information in the Content text box
49. Click on the Save button
50. Click on the Add Page link
51. The Add Page page appears
52. Input the Page Title The Future
53. Paste the text information in the Content text box
54. Click on the Return to Main Menu button
55. Click on the View Site button
56.Click on the links to see how your site works.
WinkSite Activity Text
This is an overview of Niagara Falls. It provides viewers with details about
important aspects of the area and many specifics about tourism.
Niagara Falls is famed for its beauty and its valuable source of hydroelectric
power. Balancing recreational, commercial, and industrial uses has been a
challenge for the stewards of the falls since the 19th
The features that became Niagara Falls were created by the Wisconsin glaciation
about 10,000 years ago. The same forces also created the North American Great
Lakes and the Niagara River. All were dug by a continental ice sheet that drove
through the area, deepening some river channels to form lakes, and damming
others with debris. Scientists argue there is an old valley, St David's Buried Gorge,
buried by glacial drift, at the approximate location of the present Welland Canal.
When the ice melted, the upper Great Lakes emptied into the Niagara River,
which followed the rearranged topography across the Niagara Escarpment. In
time, the river cut a gorge through the north-facing cliff, or cuesta. Because of the
interactions of three major rock formations, the rocky bed did not erode evenly.
The top rock formation was composed of erosion-resistant limestone and
A number of figures have been suggested as first circulating an eyewitness
description of Niagara Falls. The Frenchman Samuel de Champlain visited the area
as early as 1604 during his exploration of Canada, and members of his party
reported to him the spectacular waterfalls, which he described in his journals. The
Finnish-Swedish naturalist Pehr Kalm explored the area in the early 18th century
and is credited with the first scientific description of the falls. The consensus
honoree for the first description is the Belgian missionary Louis Hennepin, who
observed and described the falls in 1677, earlier than Kalm, after traveling with
the explorer René-Robert Cavelier, Sieur de La Salle, thus bringing the falls to the
attention of Europeans. Further complicating matters, there is credible evidence
the French Jesuit missionary Paul Ragueneau visited the falls some 35 years
before Hennepin's visit, while working among the Huron First Nation in Canada.
Jean de Brébeuf also may have visited the falls, while spending time with the
In 1762, Captain Thomas Davies, a British Army officer and artist, surveyed the
area and painted the watercolor, An East View of the Great Cataract of Niagara,
the first eyewitness painting of the falls.
During the 19th century, tourism became popular, and by mid-century, it was the
area's main industry. Theodosia Burr Alston, daughter of Vice President Aaron
Burr and her husband Joseph Alston, were the first recorded couple to
honeymoon there in 1801. Napoleon Bonaparte's brother Jérôme visited with his
bride in the early 19th century.
Peak visitor traffic occurs in the summertime, when Niagara Falls are both a
daytime and evening attraction. From the Canadian side, floodlights illuminate
both sides of the falls for several hours after dark (until midnight). The number of
visitors in 2007 was expected to total 20 million, and by 2009 the annual rate was
expected to top 28 million tourists.
The oldest and best known tourist attraction at Niagara Falls is the Maid of the
Mist boat cruise, named for an ancient Ongiara Indian mythical character, which
has carried passengers into the rapids immediately below the falls since 1846.
Cruise boats operate from boat docks on both sides of the falls, with the Maid of
the Mist operating from the American side and Hornblower Cruises from the
On the Canadian side, Queen Victoria Park features manicured gardens, platforms
offering views of both the American and Horseshoe Falls, and underground
walkways leading into observation rooms that yield the illusion of being within
the falling waters. The observation deck of the nearby Skylon Tower offers the
highest view of the falls, and in the opposite direction gives views as far as
Toronto. Along with the Minolta Tower (formerly the Seagrams Tower and the
Konica Minolta Tower, and since 2010 called the Tower Hotel), it is one of two
towers in Canada with a view of the falls.
Along the Niagara River, the Niagara River Recreational Trail runs 35 miles (56 km)
from Fort Erie to Fort George, and includes many historical sites from the War of
From the U.S. side, the American Falls can be viewed from walkways along
Prospect Point Park, which also features the Prospect Point Observation Tower
and a boat dock for the Maid of the Mist. Goat Island offers more views of the
falls and is accessible by foot and automobile traffic by bridge above the American
Falls. From Goat Island, the Cave of the Winds is accessible by elevator and leads
hikers to a point beneath Bridal Veil Falls. Also on Goat Island are the Three
Sisters Islands, the Power Portal where a huge statue of Nikola Tesla (the inventor
whose patents for the AC induction motor and other devices for AC power
transmission helped make the harnessing of the falls possible) can be seen, and a
walking path that enables views of the rapids, the Niagara River, the gorge, and all
of the falls. Most of these attractions lie within the Niagara Falls State Park.
The enormous energy of Niagara Falls has long been recognized as a potential
source of power. The first known effort to harness the waters was in 1759, when
Daniel Joncaire built a small canal above the falls to power his sawmill. Augustus
and Peter Porter purchased this area and all of American Falls in 1805 from the
New York state government, and enlarged the original canal to provide hydraulic
power for their gristmill and tannery. In 1853, the Niagara Falls Hydraulic Power
and Mining Company was chartered, which eventually constructed the canals that
would be used to generate electricity. In 1881, under the leadership of Jacob F.
Schoellkopf, the Niagara River's first hydroelectric generating station was built.
The water fell 86 feet (26 m) and generated direct current electricity, which ran
the machinery of local mills and lit up some of the village streets.